95 seadoo xp wont turn over

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateanator18

I have a 1995 sea doo xp 720 I bought in may and it ran great once it was started. It has always taken quite a few turns to get going after sitting for a couple days. Went to go start it this weekend and it wouldn't turn over. All I got was a very faint crackling type noise and after about 20 to 30 seconds of holding down the start/stop button it would try very very faintly to turn over but couldn't. I took the battery out and charged it over night and still the same thing. I tried with the plugs in and out. it was fine the weekend before. This is my first machine so im new to all the wiring. Any ideas on what the issue might be?

It could be several things, battery, starter, starter solenoid, corroded electrical connections. I would start with the battery, check the voltage across the battery under load, while pushing the start button, if it's less than 11 volts, you probably need a new battery.

Lou

agree with Lou.
but one other thing....never hold the start button down and crank the motor for more than 5-8 seconds and then let it cool off for 30 seconds before cranking again......Good way to burn out the starter.

agree with Lou.
but one other thing....never hold the start button down and crank the motor for more than 5-8 seconds and then let it cool off for 30 seconds before cranking again......Good way to burn out the starter.

If this is the case.... I bet that that's what has happened. It had been easy to start when I first got it but every time I went to start it it would take longer and longer to go and in my frustration, I would often hold the start button for longer than that. I always put gas line antifreeze in, run premium synthetic oil and premium gas. I bet it wouldn't hurt to have the carbs rebuilt but what else can cause it to be so difficult to start. Also, i noticed today that the plugs are burning black which means its running rich, correct? what causes this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back