95 GTX Steering Tight (Bushing Problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfmeyer

Hello,

I have gone thorough the site trying to find a solution to stiff steering/bushing problem but did not find an answer if bushings are not replaceable ...

I have taken a 95 GTX out of storage (was not used for ~ 1.5 yrs) everything is up and running except the steering is very tight.

I confirmed the problem is in the steering head (steering cable disconnected at steering stem bracket holder -cable is free and smooth/nozzle moves easily). Based on reading here and a search online - my understanding that new bushings are no longer made for a pwc this old.

My Plan of attack to fix stiff steering:

- Pull out the steering stem and sand this down and lube/grease it up.

- Existing bushings - is there anything I can do to these? Try to remove w/o destroying?

OR Sand inside of bushings with 200 grit/400 grit paper?

Re-assemble and see if problem resolved.

Is the above good plan of attack? Any other recommendations for tackling this challenge would be greatly appreciated.

R/ Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you are on the right track. Pull it apart and make sure the bushings and stem are clean and smooth. Then lube with a good waterproof grease.

Prob some grit or something in there. Steering stem is stainless steel. Pull it apart clean it up should be good.

I know the 96 on up are aluminum with plastic bushings not stainless steel. Not sure on the older ones.

Could be a cracked bushing. If you need a bushing check OSDparts.com. You can look up the part number on an online parts diagram like on worldofpowersports.com then search it on osdparts.

wabash,

I will know more when pull it apart. I must have had wrong part # first time when I search OSD previously to my post. they show 3 in system right now. May go ahead and order two and replace them while I'm in there anyway...

My other option was going to being getting a sanding drum attachment for my drill and cleaning out the existing in-place bushings if I could not find replacements...

Thanks All to comments/assistance.
r/ Mark

I would get it apart first. I have never seen the bushings bad, just in need of cleaning and grease. Although we don't get many salty skis here.

What happens on these is the corrosion on the aluminum steering head pushes in on the bushings till it will no longer turn, remove the bushings if they will come out, I usually use a piece of pipe and a hammer, clean all the corrosion on the steering head and replace the bushings, put in new bushings if you damaged the old ones getting them out grease everything with marine waterproof grease and it will work fine for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back