95 gtx shutoff and won’t start back

Status
Not open for further replies.

95GTX657

Hey everyone, new member here! Hope I’m posting in the correct place, having a few issues out of my ski. Here’s the run down
Bought a 95 gtx 657 about a month ago, is in immaculate condition, previous owner took very good care for it, hasn’t been rode since last summer, I replaced the tempo fuel lines, rebuild the carbs, fuel selector, spark plugs, and replaced fuel water separator, but had trouble with an air leak even with new oring, so I bypassed it with an in-line filter, also added a bildge pump.. was running spectacular after what I done to it, took to the lake today, once again was running great, after riding for about an hour, it began to become a real pain to get restarted after shutting it off for 5 minutes or so, once started it would bog terribly but clear out after a minute or so, no noticeable large amounts of smoke after it cleared out it ran fine, it progressively got worse to the point once it took me around 10 minutes to get restarted, once started I noticed a small power loss and lack of top speed, was on a long run and all of a sudden it died and would not restart, towed back to the ramp, still won’t start, it will hit very slightly like it’s trying to start but won’t. has fuel, no air leaks, noticed fuel was alittle hard to suck from the line but not terrible like it’s clogged somewhere, has spark, also pulled the plugs several times after cranking for alittle, plugs was never wet, (nor blew fuel out of the spark plug holes)?? Maybe fuel issues??? I havnt tested compression since I bought it a month ago, if I remember correctly it was around 140 on each cylinder. Plans for tomorrow, make sure I’m getting fuel, pour alittle down the intake see if it fires, compression test, and a good look over, any information on what else to check would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!

There not, all I used from the kit, was orings for needle seat, filters and a few gaskets. Left all original diaphragms, needles, popoff springs, due to the originals being different thicknesses and in good shape. Had on the water many many times after all work was performed and was running spectacular until today.

Don't know if it would cause your other symptoms but my '96 GSX just suddenly quit running in the middle of the lake a few years ago. Ground wire in the rear E-box had come loose. Luckily I assumed it had to be electrical to just cut out so that was the first place I looked.

Done a compression test today, front cylinder at 150! Pto cylinder at 30.. pulled head and jug, has a broke ring and piston tried to seize. Can these cylinders be bored over? And there’s a small fitting on intake pto side missing a oil hose, could that be the cause? See attached photos

Attachments

• 2B3A4308-FB9E-4A73-B608-CE726E21784E.jpeg
    2B3A4308-FB9E-4A73-B608-CE726E21784E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • A1F1BBE2-F0A4-4FCD-BA91-A2FA3CF91C8E.jpeg
    A1F1BBE2-F0A4-4FCD-BA91-A2FA3CF91C8E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 46EF263B-4AAE-4E0A-AC60-548F20D1D7AF.jpeg
    46EF263B-4AAE-4E0A-AC60-548F20D1D7AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Done a compression test today, front cylinder at 150! Pto cylinder at 30.. pulled head and jug, has a broke ring and piston tried to seize. Can these cylinders be bored over? And there’s a small fitting on intake pto side missing a oil hose, could that be the cause? See attached photos
those are where your small 3/32 tygon lines would be, so yes. Also just remove that inline filter and order a brand new oem one for 20bucks.

I have no idea where the line went to, it’s not laying in the bottom of the hull, and I know for a fact it was on there a few days before, so I guess it broke and came off, noticed after riding it 2 days ago there was some oil in the hull but didn’t think much about it, so that’s definitely the reason this happend? Just want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Also what’s the best solution to fix? Front cylinder is perfect, may replace rings for the heck of it, on the rear should I replace the jug/cylinder and piston/rings, or bore it over?

I have no idea where the line went to, it’s not laying in the bottom of the hull, and I know for a fact it was on there a few days before, so I guess it broke and came off, noticed after riding it 2 days ago there was some oil in the hull but didn’t think much about it, so that’s definitely the reason this happend? Just want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Also what’s the best solution to fix? Front cylinder is perfect, may replace rings for the heck of it, on the rear should I replace the jug/cylinder and piston/rings, or bore it over?
Same thing happened to me on my other ski, I always do an inspection on them before I head out to the ramp, noticed one of the oil lines got brittle one broke off, glad I noticed it before anything real bad happened. Just do a top end refresh, you can buy a good jug in oem specs if you don't want to do mag as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back