95 gtx driveshaft seal and etc

seadooer2022

Took new to me 95 gtx out twice, it ran really nice. couple questions:

1. at the boat ramp (saltwater), I saw people opened up their seadoo seats and hosed down the engine compartment, granted those are late model 4 strokes, should I do the same with my oldie? or should I just use a spray bottle, then wipe down?

2. saw this video talks about how the driveshaft seal rusted and his seadoo started to take on water,
. Does a 95 gtx have a bearing seal or a carbon seal? planning to take it apart and inspect the seal in a couple weeks but wanted to get aheads up first or things to watch out for.

Yes, pull the drain plugs and wash your engine down after using in saltwater. Also flush the engine with fresh water but only with it running, NEVER have the flush hose ON with the engine OFF!

Yes, you have the carrier bearing seal, not the carbon seal. Give it a pump of marine grease every season.

I ride is fresh water and brackish water(mix of salt and fresh). I rinse mine down every time I use it, salt water corrodes things very fast, do whatever you can to slow it down. I also flush mine after every ride for the same reason.

As far as what you have, carbon seal or bearing seal. For me the easiest is looking for the zerk fitting, The drive line will have one on the bearing if it is a bearing seal. The carbon seal looks like a very fat gray solid washer. I have a bearing seal (98 GTX ltd), here is a picture of it. The zerk you are looking for is center bottom, silver/brown metal. The gray zerk fitting is on the motor side, that's not it.

lol, looks like mikidymac beat me to it.

Attachments

• drive shaft seal.jpg
    drive shaft seal.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
yes, I do flush the engine after each (have used 2 stroke outboards before), just a little scared to hose down the engine compartment. Should I cover up the battery with plastic bag or something.

Also, want to change out the original grey fuel line. is 1/4 ID all I need or I need some 5/16 also?

But when I flushed the engine without pinching that hose , water did come out of the pisser and the exhaust already. I assumed pisser being the weep hole next to the stern tow hook and exhaust being the jet pump housing.
So does that mean no need to pinch the hose?

I was reading the service manual, it says to pinch the water outlet hose when flushing the engine, where would the water exit if that hose is closed off
The water outlet is normally where you attach to flush, I’m assuming that you have a fitting by the cylinder cover where your hose attaches to flush in reverse from normal operation. The fitting for flushing would T into the cooling hose that goes to the cylinder cover and exits machine at the stern. If you don’t have this fitting and you have a model that has a hose fitting by the pump area for flushing or the T adapter had been removed then no you would not need to pinch the water outlet hose as that’s where you should be attaching for flushing.

The water outlet is normally where you attach to flush, I’m assuming that you have a fitting by the cylinder cover where your hose attaches to flush in reverse from normal operation. The fitting for flushing would T into the cooling hose that goes to the cylinder cover and exits machine at the stern. If you don’t have this fitting and you have a model that has a hose fitting by the pump area for flushing or the T adapter had been removed then no you would not need to pinch the water outlet hose as that’s where you should be attaching for flushing.

the engine has this quick connect and thats where I attach the garden hose and water comes out of the weep hole and the jet pump housing, so do I still pinch the outlet hose or no?

Screenshot from 2024-09-18 07-38-42.png

No, you don't need to on yours.
Some have a Tee on the hose going to the head and if you don't pinch the hose the water will go out the back instead of into the engine.

No need to pinch, there’s no hose there to pinch. 657?
The hose to pinch if you wanted to on his is the big black hose off the head adjacent to the flush port. That hose just goes back to the jet pump. In theory you would get more flush pressure to the engine by clamping that hose.

The hose to pinch if you wanted to on his is the big black hose off the head adjacent to the flush port. That hose just goes back to the jet pump. In theory you would get more flush pressure to the engine by clamping that hose.
Yes, I know. Just explaining that this engine doesn’t have that hose, on other engines where he attaches his flush connector there is a T fitting and a hose that goes out the stern but not on this one, hose just terminates so nothing to clamp

Oh, gotcha now, That must be the water inlet then. Yes, never heard of pinching it to flush. Better read my manuals again.

Back