94 Seadoos 657 and 717 wont run in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scothorn1

Hey Guys,
I recently bought a pair of 94 seadoo gtx's. One with a 657 and one with a 717. Not sure, but I think the 717 is a added motor later, as I haven't been able to find a 94 GTX with a 717. Both are premix 40-1. Anyway, I checked compassion on both. They were good. Both cyl on both were 145 ish or better and within 10 or better of each other. Test drove both, they ran great. Got them home, and they start on the the trailer/hose but seem to run rich. Smoke a lot. Get them in the water on the trailer and they don't want to start. When they do, LOTS of smoke (Rich)
Both have had the fuel lines replaced, and I'm assuming the carbs redone also, being as they ran great on the test drive.
They will start in water, but takes a while for them to hit, and then I must give them almost full throttle for them to start, and then they smoke badly and finally will run. Get them out, and they run like scalded dogs. Stall a bit from 1/4 throttle, then catch and take off like a bat out of hell. Shut them down, they won't start. Same as beginning but worse. they will crank till battery is almost down. I have checked low settings and set to factory specs for both. Kind of at my wits end. Both fuel gauges didn't work, and I fixed those according to the threads here. I'm pretty handy and am a good "shade tree Mechanic" Any suggestions and help is GREATLY welcomed.
Thanks so much,
Scott 615-578-4043

Welcome to the forum Scott. Typically the starting issues you are speaking of can be compression related, but it sounds like you've eliminated that. Have you taken apart the carbs? That's not a bad thing to do on a new purchase.

Good luck with your skis. Try posting your question in the 2-stroke PWC section of the forum. Others there may have suggestions for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back