94 gtx low voltage with starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camilin94

Hi everyone, thanks for the motivation, I have these issue going on, with 1 of my (2) 94 gtxs, it was last registered in 07 to alabama, I bought here in az from a female teacher if that matters..both had oil pump canceled, one had cover plate wer pump goes the other im working on, just had gear removed, when i bought it would only turn over with spark plugs off, turned on once even, sparks were rare here and there, I did the shortening of the cables, cleaned every connection with a small file, while i waited for my ebay starter to arrive along with solenoid, also cleaned carbs..they got here, hooked everyhting up, good sparks, it shocked me hard, but starter just clicks, i found a lost volt tester and used to check battery.. fully charged as i keep it that way,+ red on battery, - on engine it reads full.....- on battery & +red at the end of + cable it reads full, even on the other side of solenoid when hitting start button, as soon as i connect + cable at solenoid to the starter the voltage just drops to about 3, when tryn 2 start,I hooked up starter directly with jumper cables.and it seems to push flywheel with force before i get weld marks from battery cables, I cant really imitate solenoids function lol... any advice..Thanks

start by taking the battery to your local autoparts and have them load test it (for free). And post pics of the female teacher you got the ski from :)

yeah it sounds to me like that battery is toast. it has to maintain a certain voltage to keep the starter moving. also watch out on cheep ebay starters. the retaining ring that holds the gear in place is weak, as well as the casings. to get the most life out of them, start your skis before putting them in the water so you can get fuel in the carbs and the motor firing so there is less stress on the starter.

hey guys, u guys are guenuis, the battery i was trying was from 2009 and it sat on my younger brothers truck project for 2 years, I hooked up the one from my truck and both started right up with a bit of starter fluid, didnt want to keep them on much because the gasoline smells old..? also can i keep a regular 12v car battery on them..? thanks again

I noticed a couple of things while reading your posts.

1. Do not start your ski using starter fluid, since your ski has been converted to premix it is especially bad. You are getting zero lubrication. Use some premix for starting fluid.

2. The E-Bay starter, it's going to fail, if you still have the original starter either rebuild it or have it rebuilt.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to give you some good advice.

BTW, Welcome to the SeaDoo Forum.

Lou

hey guys, u guys are guenuis, the battery i was trying was from 2009 and it sat on my younger brothers truck project for 2 years, I hooked up the one from my truck and both started right up with a bit of starter fluid, didnt want to keep them on much because the gasoline smells old..? also can i keep a regular 12v car battery on them..? thanks again

yeah you can but its a little overkill. kinda like having a deep cell battery to start a honda civic. get you a new 16cl-b battery and throw it in. also take what myself and lou have said here into account. and i would drain as much of the old gas out as you can and replace with fresh.

Strongly suggest that you do NOT get a Walmart Everstart battery. :puke:
Stronly suggest that you DO get an AGM battery. :hurray:

signed
Genius :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back