94 Gts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSW

Hey guys, we have a 94 SeaDoo GTS starts and will stay running if you hold in on start button slightly, was told it was the mpem put a new one in this morn and it still does the same thing.. while messing with it figured out that if we unplugged red/black wire from stator to the mpem/coil it will stay running but this also disengages the kill switch and stop buttons?? any ideas??someone here saying bad sileniod??? any help!!!

Solenoid!

I haven't went in to look at your specific application but my first guess is that your solenoid is bad. If you know where your solenoid is, you'll notice the two wires attached, one coming from your battery and the other leaving the solenoid going to the positive side of the starter. You'll also notice to small gage wires, these are coming from your start/stop switch. Either you have a short in that connection or the solenoid is bad. Open the electrical box, you'll see the solenoid and a plug from your start/stop switch. Check that plug to see if it's corroded or in need of being cleaned.........It does sound like the contacts are sticking in the closed position, which will permit a continous feed of 12 volts to your starter.....
Let me know what you find out!..........:cool:

solenoid

we were going to try solenoid in the morning but didn't just want to throw to much money that i dont have at it. the starter is not sticking engaged but if you hold down on the buttone slightly the engine will stay running?? we were wondering if the solenoid might have a short in it that causing it to kill as soon as you release start button. (this model has seperate start/stop buttons) we have replaces start switch/module, cleaned carb and all fuel lines and tank, the kill switch seams to be all right. on the inside of the box this model is the old style that is the four post solenoid (model right before they switched to plug in style) all conection look ok nothing burnt or wet. solenoid was stuck closed earlier and someone here jumped across and it engaged and seamed to work alright after. but problem is definatly electrical when we umplug wire from stator into mpmodule/coil the doo will stay running?

solenoid

It does sound like it could be the solenoid, but because you say it starts when you push the start button and will continue to run only when you hold light pressure on the start switch, I'd wonder if there was an ignition problem. Does the starter continue to roll over when your holding the start switch the light pressure also?

Ignition power?

There isn't a manual in our library yet on your model. Don't know if it's because there aren't that many requests for a ski as old as your's or if it just hasn't made it to the manuals section upload yet.
I've seen this type of problelm, several times, but not in a ski. I think it's in what ever type switch you have that turns on the electrical power to the ski. When you use the starter, the power is being supplied to the ignition system for a start. With the key (lanyard or whatever else is used to turn on ignition) in place, after the starter has ignited the engine and you release the start button, the ignition has the power supply to keep the engine runnig. If the ignition doesn't have the power, after a start, you let go of the start switch, then it will die.
I don't think this is the mpem. I think it's going to be related to your solenoid or your ignition switch.
Does this ski have the DESS....if so, do you get two short beeps when you place the cap on? Have you jumpered anything on the ignition system? Do you have the standard lanyard safety stop switch (which primarily grounds the engine to the block to interrupt power)? If you have a stop switch, then this could be defective. Remember, as long as you supply the starter with power, your also giving it to the ignition. You have to find out from the above statements, which one of these type kill switches you have.
Write back, paint me a better picture of your kill switch system and your lanyard.:cool:

The ski has seperate start/stop buttons, stop is up on the steering, start is on the center consolenext to the lanyard(kill switch). As far as i know the ski does not have the dess i have never heard the ski beep at all but i do know that there is a beeper up in the steering pad( saw this when we were checking wires to the stop switch. Tried the new silenoid but it changed nothing. there is one wire on the mpem that splits one goes to the stator i think and the other to the silenoid if you disconnect this wire it will sit there and run all day but it disables the lanyard kill switch.. help!!!!!

Simple!

Your problem is not a real problem at all, especially if you don't have the DESS system.
I'm not familar with your ski, but your situation is one of a solenoid or switch problem.
If you can hook up your lanyard and while pushing the start button, get the engine to start but as soon as you let go the engine dies, then it's got to be the kill switch grounding out, or the contact stuck in the closed position. If your familar with using a multi meter, check your kill switch (s) for continuity. If you unplug the kill switch, check for continutity, there should be no continuity until you push the kill switch.
This does seem like a simple switch problem. Disconnect the wires to your kill switch and start the motor. If it runs after you push and let go of the start button, then it's surely your kill switch...........you can either touch the wires together to ground the ignition and kill the engine, or use the choke to cause it to die out. But I feel really certain it's your kill switch.
Wheels and Waves is a great mechanic and pops in often. Maybe he'll read your post and offer a better or different solution based on his knowledge of your ski.

You are right, your ski does not have the DESS system. MPEM's that have a seperate start and kill switch are a little different. Your problem is either in the "stop" button or the "lanyard kill" button. Like SDS said, take a volt meter and check continuity on either switch. More than likely, your "stop" button is bad. The computer opens the ignition circuit when the "start" button is pressed. When you let off the "start" button, the computer looks for a reason to shut off the ignition. This signal will come from either the stop or lanyard circuits. When you disconnect the black/red wire, you are removing the grounding kill circuit. Again, check the "stop" and lanyard buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back