93 XP Dies after 1-2 min @ Full Throttle Won't Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdh201

As the subject says, I have a 93 xp with a running problem. I just bought this and a gtx last weekend and I would really like get this running. The first day it wouldn't even crank at all. I had to put a new battery in it and then I found that both plugs were loose. I tightened them and then hit the start button and it fired right up. Took it out to the lake and my wife took the ski out from the dock and was running it at full throttle and the engine quit on her. I towed her back in and got on it myself and repeated it three times. It will run full throttle for a minute or two and then it just shuts down. No noises or anything, it just isn't running any more. Now for the interesting part. After it shuts down the engine the start button won't do anything. The starter won't try to crank at all. As it sits the starter will eventually start to cranking, but the engine won't start. After about 30 minutes the engine will start right up and run good for a minute or two and then the same thing.

The person who I bought these off of had stored them for a while, but told me they both ran fine before they were stored. The hulls of both boats are in beautiful shape so I would like to keep them running for many more years.

I'm not sure about the '93 models, but this sounds like most of the symptoms of overheating. On newer models you'd hear beeping before a shutdown. Has the carb ever been rebuilt?

Pull your plugs and read them. Do they look like they have a chalky appearance, white insulator, or have rapid electrode wear as well as an absence of deposits? With over heating the actual shell may also be discolored. This is my first guess before hearing anything else, but read the plugs and let me know.

Water discharge?

I'm not sure about the '93 models, but this sounds like most of the symptoms of overheating. On newer models you'd hear beeping before a shutdown. Has the carb ever been rebuilt?

Pull your plugs and read them. Do they look like they have a chalky appearance, white insulator, or have rapid electrode wear as well as an absence of deposits? With over heating the actual shell may also be discolored. This is my first guess before hearing anything else, but read the plugs and let me know.

If you can start it and it runs at low rpms, look to see if your engine cooling water tell-tell is ejecting water, to make sure you have a positive flow of cooling water for the engine. Speaking of being in the South, if you leave something stored for a while here, those pesky dirt dobbers (wasp) will build there mudded nest in almost anything with a hole in it, virtually plugging a line!............just an afterthought.

Well, top of the plugs look old. I am going to have to try to find some good ngks for it, but the electrodes are in good shape, they look like it leaned out. No deposits or anything on it. Cooling water comes out buy the tow rope loop? It only runs for very short period of time before it shuts down so I don't know how much heat it's going to build up, but i'm not that familiar with them yet. It is quite a drive for me to get to a lake to run it on, so any items I can look on the trailer would be great. If I get a hose hook up for it, can I run it at higher rpms for a few minutes while checking?

yes, on the rpms!

Your tell-tell (small jet of water coming from hole by rope tow) is showing that your getting the amount of cooling water that you need to run the engine. Since you got so far to drive to the lake, lets see if we can get you closer to having a good run once you get there.
You should be able to goose the throttle and test engine response with no problem. I'll have to look up your model, but I believe you have a rpm limit of 7000. Without having any load on your engine, I wouldn't take it up over 5k for any extended period of time. Spark plugs for this machine are the NGK BR8ES.........
I just typed a lot of info and lost it because I'm at work and this stupid T1 connection timed out on me!.....arghhhhhhhhhh
There was a lot of stuff I wanted to tell you.
Real quick, it could be the main jets of your carb. If your plugs show signs of running lean, then check your oil system. Are you still running on the oil injection pump, if so, you may need to go to premix........40 or 50:1.
What size engine do you have.....I think it's the 787....if so, it'll be stamped on the top of the PTO housing.
Let me know about your engine size and if your still using the oil injection pump?
If the electronic system is shutting you down, it sounds like it's doing it when you lean your motor out and it's got to cool of before you can get ignition again..
Let me know more info as you get it................

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the engine overheat and ceased based on the fact that the starter can not turn after engine stop. If it is a fuel problem, the starter should be still craking after engine stop.

Good point!

Very good point. When he gave the condition of his plugs, it does sound like his engine is leaning out, therefore, the engine may be running hot. It may be the carbs causing it either because they need a rebuild or re-jetting or maybe his oil injection system isn't giving the needed amout of oil for lubrication, which would also cause it to run lean. Joe has suggested to me that when it comes to reliability, the premix you can count on, the (old) injection system isn't as reliable with age.

When I was running it the other weekend, I did see water coming out the hole by the toe loop. I don't know if it was enough, but I will track that back to the engine and clean it out with some wire or something, that shouldn't be hard. I will be signing up for the premium membership here so that I can get to the service manuals and learn how to shut down the oil injection and go to premix, I was already considering that because I didn't really trust the oil injector. I will also try to look this afternoon and see what engine it has. I know it is a twin carb and it has a better hole shot than the 97 gtx so it's probably the biggest option for that model. I will have to buy a flush kit and whatever it takes to hook these up to the hose, but that shouldn't be to hard. Thx for the help and I will keep this thread updated so that anyone else can read it and learn from my problems.

Water tell-tell hole

During the times that your machine is at idle, there probably won't be a real strong stream, just make sure there is water coming out of it.
Your water pressure through the engine is determined by the pressure on the pump housing where your water pick-up tube is. The faster you go, the more water input you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back