787 Top End Rebuild Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLH101

As some of you may remember, I bought a 97 Sea Doo at an auction a couple weeks ago. Bought it because I have a good 787 engine looking for a home. The head was off the engine, but the compartment is so tight, and it was against a wall, I couldn't really see what it looked like, and at the time, didn't really care. Well, today I pulled the engine out and tore it down. Rather suprised by what I found. Looks like a very low time engine, but the top ring on the PTO side was missing. Has damage on the piston, large gouge, and the head is a little hammered out. Suprisingly, the cylinder has no damage. Cylinders are bored 1mm oversize. I was thinking I'll put a whole top end kit, with new pistons and rings, or just throw in one new piston, since it's a low time engine. What do you guys think?
What about that head, is it junk, or can I clean off the sharp points and reuse?
Are the WSM top end kit any good?

Attachments

• PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
For the head, i had a skidoo that was a little worse then yours. I just took the sharp peaks off and it has been fine for 3 years now.
It may depend how you ride. If your WFO all the time that might mean a new head is a good idea.

tiny fragments of metal from the ring probably got down into the crank id at least open it up and clean it out, while you're at it you can replace your crank seals. if your gonna do a top end then do both pistons not just one of them and that head looks usable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back