657 Crankshaft center gear off center

eejohnson05

Hello! I pulled my 657 engine from my ‘93 XP. Pulled rotary shaft and it was junk. Looking into the crankcase where rotary shaft was I see the crankshaft center gear is way off center. I know it’s not salvageable without splitting the case but what are my options? What would be best?

Buy a whole new crankshaft?

Can it be rebuilt? How much of a pain in the ass is that? Learning as I go so if it’s something that’s super easy to jack up I’m not messing around with it I will just buy a new shaft. Thank you!

Hello! I pulled my 657 engine from my ‘93 XP. Pulled rotary shaft and it was junk. Looking into the crankcase where rotary shaft was I see the crankshaft center gear is way off center. I know it’s not salvageable without splitting the case but what are my options? What would be best?

Buy a whole new crankshaft?

Can it be rebuilt? How much of a pain in the ass is that? Learning as I go so if it’s something that’s super easy to jack up I’m not messing around with it I will just buy a new shaft. Thank you!
went through it in the fall, considering the cost of a new crank vs the cost of a whole reman engine with warranty i went with a new engine. Nobody rebuilds those locally typically and you're sending them out anyway

went through it in the fall, considering the cost of a new crank vs the cost of a whole reman engine with warranty i went with a new engine. Nobody rebuilds those locally typically and you're sending them out anyway
Yea, I am thinking that option may make the most sense. Where did you go to get your reman engine?

Yea, I am thinking that option may make the most sense. Where did you go to get your reman engine?
I’m in Canada so I ended up sending mine out to a Quebec company called Umatek.

I’m the states SBT out of Florida does so many of these engines they have them in stock. I would have used them but for me shipping and exchange made it way too expensive

I would do a lot of research on the quality of SBT rebuilds...
There have been a lot of failures reported here over and over. Also stay away from SES.

I’ve seen numerous rave reviews on Fox Valley Powersports. I think the owners name is Peter Rucinski. From what I see they are rebuilding plenty of these 2 strokes. Never seen one bad thing said about them

Back