4tec winterizing ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

acooper

Would like to hear some of the most simple & effective ways to winterize the 4tec engine as used by some of our more experienced riders.

My own methods (as a professional mechanic) are very thorough, but probably include some overkill. My ski is a 2003 gtx 4tec.

4-tec...

We have a thread dedicated in the forum for winterizing, but for the most part, covers the two strokes.

Since the 4-TEC is a 4 stroke engine, with it's closed loop cooling system using a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze, I'd check it with a hydrometer to make sure it was still capable of handling freezing temps. It has valves that keep the pistons proteced from the outside elements (humidity) and an oil sump that protects the crankshaft. So, outside of washing the exhaust, making sure it is water free, by starting for a few seconds, I don't think there is a lot you need to do for it.

Maybe spray the linkages down with a water displacing lubricant.

This engine is in principle, the same type engine in your car. So, what ever you do for your car, you can do for the ski.

There are operators manuals and 4-TEC manuals in the library that cover winterizing.............give them a look. The procedures are located in the front of the books.................:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back