2nd fuel tank on challenger 180se?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedodson

hi,

i am trying to add more fuel capacity to the boat and could do with some suggestions please.

i want to add a 30ltr tank under the starboard aft hatch and was going to 'T' into the original fuel line but realised that the fuel pump is in the original tank. i am now toying with the idea connecting the new tank to the old so that it decants when the original tank gets low.

i live in an area where to use the boat requires doing lots of miles to avoid sand bars, tidal probs etc and the fuel tank on the 2005 boats is a bit too small.

any ideas??

I think it is a bad idea. Remeber the boat is desinged for the weight of the fuel to be exactly where it is. Adding a tank somewhere else may throw off the way the boat is balanced and handles. Also you will have the issue of vapors collecting. The area that the tank is in now has a fan to disperse vapors. I just think that it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I think it is a bad idea. Remeber the boat is desinged for the weight of the fuel to be exactly where it is. Adding a tank somewhere else may throw off the way the boat is balanced and handles. Also you will have the issue of vapors collecting. The area that the tank is in now has a fan to disperse vapors. I just think that it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Yes and no.

What you said, is absolutely correct. But... 30L is only about 8 gal, and that will weigh less than 50 Lbs. That's not significant to an 18' boat

With that said... I would mount it as low as possible, and just use a small electric fuel pump to fill/drain it into the main tank. So... after you are out, and burn half a tank... just flip a switch, and transfer it over. Personally... I would fit it into the engine compartment. That way it's in the bilge area, and it will be somewhere that is ventilated. Anywhere else will require a vent system to be safe.

Either way... check your local laws to find out if it's legal. In the USA... the coast guard rules are very specific on fuel tanks that are non-removable.

thanks so far,

i do plan on installing the tank in the engine compartment, in the space directly under the starboard hatch which is right next to the fan so i dont think ventilation will be a problem and regarding weight, i'll have to shift my arse 6" to port to compensate.

i love the idea of having a small pump to decant from one tank to the other then as soon as i've burnt 30lts i can decant the fuel across.

do you think i could 'T' into the filler line so i dont have to fill 2 separate tanks?

hi,

for anyone that is interested in increasing the fuel capacity in their boat, here is what we have done:

we have added a 30ltr fuel tank to the space under the starboard aft hatch and secured it down to the deck. its easily removable by undoing a buckle.

"T" into the breather pipe where it enters the stock tank (before the non return valve)

then run the fuel line that came with the tank thru a small electric pump (rated for unleaded fuel) and into the main tank.

we also plan to add a standard seadoo switch on the helm to run the pump. it takes about 15 mins to empty the 30 lts into the main tank.

remember to crack the filler cap and the vent on both tanks to avoid pressure build up or you'll pump you're fuel straight out the breather pipe.

this has increased the standard 80ltrs fuel tank to 110ltrs and if we ever do empty the main fuel tank (i know its a sin but it does happen to a lot of people) then there is 30 ltrs reserve to get you home.

the pics attached are the 'T', the tank and the pump.

this was a very easy mod and has drastically improved the usability of the boat where we are. thanks for the advice Doc!

Attachments

• SANY0006.jpg
    SANY0006.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 20
  • SANY0007.jpg
    SANY0007.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 20
  • SANY0008.jpg
    SANY0008.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 20
Looks good.

Let me verify... you have the "Feed" on the main line before the filter, and the "Vent" is on the vent of the main tank??

Are you filling and draining using the same pump? Or... are you just filling the 30L tank by it self, and pumpping it over to the main tank?

cheers,

we have the feed from the reserve tank going thru a 1 way pump and 'T'd into the breather line of the main tank.

the pic of the 'T' piece is right at the top of the main tank where the breather line comes out of the tank.

for less than £100 i'd say this is well worth a consideration to save any possible embarrassments on the water.

we went to the petrol station yesterday and the pump hose reaches to fill both tanks no probs, only prob is it now costs £130 to fill the boat up!

OK... got it. You are filling the small tank in the regular maner... and it fills the main tank via the vent tube.

Should work fine.

Thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back