2024 Sea Doo GTX Problem

kentuckyduke

First Time Jet Ski Owner

I picked up my ski, a 2024 Sea Doo GTX 230, June 20th.

I've had it to the lake one time, just doing the break in routine, puttering around. About 1.5 hrs of use.

I took it back Sunday, and unloaded it. Headed out from the dock and it died. It would restart, and run for 2-3 minutes, before sputtering and stalling out. I'm no mechanic, but felt like it was staving for fuel. It would run normal when restarted, and made normal power before stalling.

I figured out how to look for the codes and it was throwing a -P0232 Fuel Pump Circuit High. It wasn't going to run so I took it home.

Dealer wasn't open until today.

I take it in and start home, they call me in 45 minutes and say it needs a new fuel pump and wireing harness.

And they are back ordered to early mid August!

I try to be a calm guy, but this seems ridiculous.

What should I do?

Well. It sounds like your dealer likes throwing parts at things. What is it ... the fuel pump or the harness? Or, could it be the ECU? I doubt you have a problem with both the harness and the pump. It needs to be diagnosed by someone who knows what they are doing. Now on to you code. A fuel pump circuit high typically means there is voltage in the circuit, but it's not being pulled to ground.

The fuel pump circuit is pretty easy. You have 12 VDC coming into the fuel pump from a fuse 2 (15 amps). When the 30A relay is energized (pressing the engine start button) the ECU wakes up and provides a ground for the pump to operate. Since you have a "fuel pump high" code. the 12 volt side of the circuit (incoming power) is probably OK. What's missing is the ground.

Steps to take:

Check to make sure there is 12 VDC at pin B (Vt/BU wire) on the fuel pump connector (remember you have to wake up the ski for power on this circuit).

If you have 12 VDC on pin B; backprobe Pin A (BG/PK wire) and check the voltage, If zero volts, the ECU is providing the ground, and the pump should be running; This would mean the ECU and the electrical wiring is OK. Then you would connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line and verify the fuel pump outlet pressure is within spec (I think it's 40-45 PSI). If the pressure is low, you have a fuel pump problem.

If you have 12 VDC on the ground wire with the circuit energized, either you have a bad driver circuit in the ECU or there is a damaged ground wire (no electrical ground for the circuit). In this case, you would connect a jumper wire from the fuel pump connector Pin A to battery ground. If this makes the fuel pump run (you should be able to hear it), then you have a bad ECU or a broken wire.

Here's the schematic from a 2023 GTR.

2023 GTR Fuel Pump.jpg

My 2022 did this same thing the first run. I think it had he same code. Mine had about a Gatorade bottle worth of water in the fuel tank. It got the water in it from sitting at the dealer in the rain with the fuel cap cracked open.

There is a known problem with the new fuel pumps. It's not clear if BRP has a solution yet so I wouldn't count on that August date. I would ask them to take a new pump from a unit in a crate that most dealers still have. It may or may not fail but probably your only option.

Back