2024 Fish Pro Trophy Water in Gas

Insky

Has anyone experienced water in fuel on a new Fish Pro after heavy rain?
I took my Trophy to the dealer after it died on me and they found approximately 3 gallons one water in the tank. The dealer claims that I got bad fuel, which I don’t believe. Here’s what happened.

I had the ski on a dock, and I was riding it daily. I topped off the tank using a 5 gallon can that I filled at a local station. I also topped off my car at the same time. I rode the ski about 20 miles after using that gas and returned it to the dock.

It rained hard for the next two days while the ski was on the dock. The next time I tried to ride the ski it died within 200 yards

I can’t believe the water came from the gas can, but it seems likely the heavy rain could have contributed.

It seems like there might be a potential design flaw that will allow rain water pool around the gas cap.

Isn't the gas cap covered by the front compartment storage lid? Might be time to invest in a cover. My skis are on a trailer on the back yard under Sea-Doo covers; I'm in FL so the skis are often exposed to biblical rain storms, and I've never had a problem with rain water getting into the fuel tank.

Thanks for the reply. It’s funny you mention the biblical rain in Florida. That’s where I was when this happened. You’re correct that the cap is under the cover. Rain water still gets in and can pool by the gas cap. The dealer mentioned they had several other 2024 models with water in the fuel.

I have a cover, but it didn’t make it on the trip due to available space. My dealer recommended to not trailer the ski with the cover installed, since it tends to dull the finish due to the wind flapping the cover

Wow. 3 gallons of water in your fuel tank? I’m not sure you will ever really know what happened, because none of it really makes sense - Ha Ha. I think you can reasonably assume your problem started with topping off with your gas can. Then riding 20 miles may have kept the water and fuel largely mixed enough to keep the ski running OK? But then the ski sat, water settled to the bottom because it is heavier than fuel, and then you made it 200 yards on fuel in the fuel lines and fuel rail before the water killed the engine. So you are left with the unlikely, but only logical idea that you maybe did get some bad water contaminated fuel. But 3 gallons seems extreme - that means basically your gas can was all water, which is unlikely. But the general theory of you introducing some water with the gas can at least makes some sense.

Seadoos are made for the water, they get tipped over, splashed on, washed, torrential rained on, etc. I think the rain storm is coincidental, not a factor. If you look at your fuel fill cap and pipe, it is covered, but there is a 1/2 inch gap around the cap and pipe, allowing any water to drain down, away from the fuel fill area. And there is a gas cap, preventing water from getting in, even if water was in the area. There isn’t anywhere that 3 gallons of water can collect around the gas cap and go in your tank when you open the gas cap. So I can’t explain what happened, but there are a couple things I think you can be comfortable knowing couldn’t or wouldn’t happen. It might be a mystery you never completely solve, but hope all is good now.

Thanks for the reply. I had it out this last weekend, and all is good now.

There’s a couple of things that I didn’t mention previously. I filled my car at the same time as filling the gas can, and the car didn’t have any issues.

Also, there was at least 30 minutes of idling in a no wake zone at the beginning and end of the 20 mile ride, so water would’ve separated and settled at the bottom of the tank within that time frame.

When lifting the cover and looking at the gas cap after it rains, there is water pooling around the cap. This makes the cap the primary seal against water, which is not ideal for a water craft in my opinion. No other vehicle that I’ve ever owned would allow water to pool around the cap. The caps are either on a raised neck or at an angle.

I agree that I’ll probably not identify a direct cause, but I’ll find some mitigations in hopes to not have a repeat

Not certain if your model has a similar feature, but the newer GTI's have a cup detail to capture spilled or overfilled fuel. It also contains a drain hole to guide fluid to the right side of PWC just under the rubber bumper. With a slightly raised filler neck it is impossible for liquid to reach a sealed gas cap unless the drain is plugged.

Perhaps it is worth investigating if a drain exists and functioning properly on the Trophy.

Considering the cargo lid covers the fuel fill area to at least limit water ingress and gas cap is sealed, I'd also consider the possibility of sabotage.

3 Gallons of water is 693 cubic inches. Assuming water can collect from a 1 square foot area (144 sq inches), it would require 4.8" of rain assuming 100% of the water worked its way to the fuel tank. Definitely plausible, but maybe not likely.

Any chance the cargo lid could be made to compress the gasket more or additional foam tape be added to close some of the gaps?

Good luck and I hope there is a simple solution to this problem.

Back