2016 GTI 130 SE - Ran, idled fine, no consistent acceleration, surging, died, won't restart!

Slocum

Sorry for the gross detail, first time jet ski owner and thread originator here.
Ski sat for three years in storage while I waited for title and registration issues with the state. I drained all the fuel from the tank, installed a new battery, checked coolant level, suctioned out oil and replaced oil filter and oil. Hooked her up to a water hose and it fired up on first press of the button. Gave it a bit of gas and threw water out and ran like it did three years ago.
Took it to the boat ramp and put her in the water. Fired up and idled out of the no wake zone with ease. Got to the open water and hit the throttle...launched for a second then bogged down. Though maybe it just some bad gas still in the line but would burn out. I made circles just outside the no wake zone for about 5 minutes never getting it to plane out. Never went over 11mph. Ski died and would restart. After a couple stalls it finally wouldn't turn over at all. Screen comes on, no errors, tries to crank but no fire. Where should I begin? Fuel filter? Spark plugs? Injector cleaner if I can get it started? Any help is appreciated.

I would measure the fuel pressure using the fitting on the fuel line.

Then check for water in the intake manifold and inter cooler if yours has one. Could be a bad inter cooler.

If OK, I would drain/change the gas and make sure there is no water in the bottom of the tank.
Gas absorbs water over time. 3 years is a lot of time.

Change plugs and I'll bet it runs fine again. I got a 4tec that didn't run for 10 years and it fired right up with new fuel and ran all day perfectly.

Change plugs and I'll bet it runs fine again. I got a 4tec that didn't run for 10 years and it fired right up with new fuel and ran all day perfectly.
Thanks for the suggestion. Grabbed three new plugs from OReilley's and popped those bad boys in and Vroom! Fires right up! took it for a two hour tank draining ride in freshwater and rode like a champ.

Back