2015 GTI SE 130 Steering Cable Replacement

woodshot

Looking for a little help here. Wife's ski had extremely stiff steering right up until the time the cable broke. Both ends are seized in the casing and the casing has rusted through enough at both ends to have ventilated my fingers before I put on gloves. I purchased a service manual, new cable, new nut/seal for nozzle end, and socket for removal of the plastic nut. I have removed the nut,seal,split washer and have the cable pulled through the back end. I have the column end of the cable unbolted and the collar/bracket unbolted. I cannot feel up under the dash to determine what is holding the front end of the cable in the steering column bulkhead. It seems quite firm. Service manual does not go much further in description other than the heim end bolt and the two bracket bolts. I have previously replaced the impeller, wear ring and shaft and seals, learning all the way. I have been in the automotive repair field as a technician and manager for approx 37 years and never stop learning. THis one has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to get this running (steering) for the 4th. Thanks in advance.

Have you tired pulling up the parts breakdown? Looks like bolt 2 holds it to the bellcrank which Sea-Doo calls a housing cover.

steering.jpg

Assuming you know how this goes back in and how to set it up?
If not there is plenty of help on seadooforum.com

An air powered die grinder with a cutoff wheel will make short work of removal.
Caution!! It will get VERY hot when you first cut it. Let it cool down.
I did my 2003 GTX years ago and pulled the steering mount off the ski to get better access... if it's the same or similar.

Caution with sparks and fuel, OF COURSE. Work outside. Don't burn down your ski, right?

The strange thing is that I started reassembly of the 4 steering housing bolts with a very low torque value, and the first bolt broke off.
Replaced all with new stainless, washers, etc. and set to whatever the correct torque was... but they were all "rusted" part way through?
I never saw anything like that before, with stainless, but I work in automotive, so....who knows?

The newer style replacement cable lock nut sets at the rear of the hull are available on this forum.
If the same, the large nylon nut at the front is used to adjust/ re-center your handlebars, if needed.

Back