2014 gtx 215 runs rough, vibrates, sluggish take off and no top end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, first time post and I been all over the forum and others to figure out what to check. So far I've tried a few things to try and figure out what it is that's causing this. Since last year I winterized the ski with 84 hrs on it. At spring start I put in a brand new battery, plugs and ran it. It ran really rough, vibrated and never really got past 5500 rpms. Even in sport mode I get no extra boost response. It feels like it's in eco mode with the vibration and sluggish acceleration from the start. I pulled it out of the water, checked the pump to make sure it was clear, changed the fuel, fuel filter, fresh fuel and new spark plugs , changed the throttle body and cleaned the injectors and they spray fine( I did it with brake cleaner and a 9 volt battery and they check out.
Still no difference. So I checked the supercharger and feels tight and I can barley spin it with my finger tips and tightened up all the hoses. The ski never was abused so I Ordered a supercharger due to it having 84 hrs and it's 7 years old anyways . I reprogrammed the keys with my new candoo, but still nothing. Also heard talk about a tps sensor so I went and ordered that at well along with a new fuel pump just in case. I'm at a loss of what else to check. Is there something else I should be looking for? Any help is appreciated. Like I said I read almost every post that has similar issues so here I am posting with no success in from what I did from the posts

Last edited:
Just reread the detailed post, you enter sport mode, you get the indication that you are in sport mode, and the boost isn’t there? Does it have any differences in acceleration after going into sport mode? Have you tried Eco yet? Does that feel and sound the same? Could be a leaky intercooler that corrosion did just enough damage to put water in the airstream over the winter.

GTX, that has an internal intercooler, not the big aluminum monstrosity plumbed to the jet pump in the back of the hull, maybe not an IC problem now that I think on it.

Yes I changed the plugs 3 times.. and even swapped out the coils that I forgot to mention.
And yes it's and internal intercooler.
Eco and sport mode makes no difference. Will the air intake box make a big difference? I don't see any dampness in the intake and the throttle body looked real clean so I assumed it was OK but, I can make that my next step.

I had a few p codes from just testing the injectors and coils but the p0231 came up after I changed the fuel filter and then a C code came up and I couldn't locate the codes indication. I'm on the road now but I'll check to see if I have it in my phone somewhere.

If all you did was put it out and winterize last year. Then problems arise the start of this season, my first inclination is the fuel is old or has moisture in it. Have you tried pumping the gas out and replacing with new fuel, 10% ethanol on the first season fillup helps take some water out as well. I also add water remover on my first fillup of the year (HEET Red bottle). It binds the water with the fuel to burn it off. Might be worth starting there before tearing into it more

If all you did was put it out and winterize last year. Then problems arise the start of this season, my first inclination is the fuel is old or has moisture in it. Have you tried pumping the gas out and replacing with new fuel, 10% ethanol on the first season fillup helps take some water out as well. I also add water remover on my first fillup of the year (HEET Red bottle). It binds the water with the fuel to burn it off. Might be worth starting there before tearing into it more

I had fuel with all the recommended additives before I ran it.
So I drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter and added new fuel...

Have you done a leak down test? Or at a minimum a compression test to make sure you have decent compression?

My 2014 just had a similar problem. It ended up being a coil pack not pushed down all the way. No codes. It’s possible it’s a coil pack so you may want to test them.

Have you done a leak down test? Or at a minimum a compression test to make sure you have decent compression?
No I haven't yet. I'm going to take the pump off again and change the seal on the shaft that seems to be leaking some oil in the hull and while I am at it, I'll put in the new supercharger and the tps that finally arrived . Once I have it together again , I'll do a compression test..

My 2014 just had a similar problem. It ended up being a coil pack not pushed down all the way. No codes. It’s possible it’s a coil pack so you may want to test them.
I have new coil packs in there. I checked that also. How do you check the coil packs?

It could also could be the rear oil pressure sensor,,,when they go the motor runs like crap,,,the computer puts it into limp,,,and they are cheap.

It could also could be the rear oil pressure sensor,,,when they go the motor runs like crap,,,the computer puts it into limp,,,and they are cheap.
And will it indicate limp mode? I never experience limp mode. Does it come up on the dash or check engine ? The ski starts fine and wot is between 35-40 mph , rpms 5000-5200 ish ..

Those are similar numbers of a supercharger not working. You should check the slip.
I first thought that but when I removed the supercharger it looked and felt fine.. I have a complete rebuilt sc going in once I get my carbon seal being I changed the crank seal and carbon seal I can start mounting everything back in.
I really hope it is the supercharger. If it's not, I'm lost

Not sure,,,but they are known for going,,,there was an upgrade,'it is gray inetead of black,,,cheap,,,and easy to install,,(21mm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back