2013 Sea Doo GTI 130 SE Blown Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzo30

I am new to this forum. I purchased a 2013 Sea Doo GTI 130 SE on July 1st 2017. It had 91 hours on it when I bought it from the Sea Doo dealer. Now it has 106 hours on it and the engine has blown. They said that shards of metal were found in the oil filter. I had it out at the lake last weekend for maybe 20 minutes. It ran great. Then I got it up to 45 MPH, the engine started to run a bit rough. I let off the gas and it just died. I tried to start it back up and it sounded like it would hardly budge when I tried to start it back up. I do not really understand how this could have happened. I fogged the pistons with fogging oil before winter. I changed the oil in the spring to Amsoil 10W 40 Synthetic Marine Engine OIl and changed the filter. I used the old filter seals since they looked fine and just made sure they had oil on them. I put 3 quarts quarts of oil in it when I changed it. The oil on the dipstick was a clear light yellow. It looked like it was clean and full. I ran it for 2 or 3 hours at the end of May and it ran great. A month later I ran it for 20 minutes and it blew.

They quoted me something like $6500 to get a reman engine installed in it. Given its a 2013, I don't really know of the ski would be worth that much by the time it would get put in it. They quoted that much and said it needs a different engine and other parts. I noticed SBT engines online for around $2600 to $3300 new. I have read reviews of some saying that they like those engines and others that say that they are not very good.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. It had good oil, no water was inside of the hull. Is there anything that I could have done to prevent this? All of the hoses seemed to look good and very clean. It sounds like it could have thrown a rod or a bearing. I am just not sure why that would happen.

Well the usual amount of oil quantity for a oil change is 4 quarts. It is very important to check the oil level per manual after a oil change. “Operating the engine with an improper level may severely damage engine”.
“NOTE: It is of the utmost importance to follow this procedure to obtain an accurate reading of the engine oil level.” Like nine steps.
Hopefully this was not the problem.

Sometimes shit just happens. If your oil level was at the correct level and it was filled with coolant and this happened then that may just be the boat you are in. If you can change the engine yourself I might go the SBT route you could do two of those for the price of one at the dealer.

The oil level seemed to be full on the dipstick and looked nice and clean. I'm not sure how complicated it is to replace an engine like this. I imagine that its probably nowhere near as bad as a car engine. I think I have also heard that these engines are heavy enough that a person may need a lift for that. Another option that I thought of is if the dealer would be willing to do a trade. I thought about going with a Yamaha since reviews on their engines seem to be a lot better than that of BRP or Rotax. A concern that I have about going with SBT is that if this is going to happen again.

generally the non supercharged engines are much more reliable they aren't pushed to the brink and can last quite a while. I wouldn't fault you for going with Yamaha though they are known for reliability.

these are dry sump engines though you have to run the engine for a bit then shut it off and let it sit before checking the oil. I think the owners manual says 30second run then 30 seconds off then check. I don't have a 130 though I have a spark

I thought I would provide an update. I bought a 2015 Yamaha V1 Sport from a local individual for $6000. It had 5.2 hours on it and was like brand new. The engine puts out about 110 HP and gets up to about 53 or 54 MPH. Its pictured on a dual trailer. We had to take it to a nearby lake to get it on to my trailer. It works great. I do miss the brake that the Sea Doo had, but it does have reverse which helps to stop. I took it out to Lewis N Clark Lake on the Missouri River on Sunday and doubled the amount of hours that it had on it.

20180629_134406.jpg

It looks great and if you get your seadoo running, you will have twice the fun! I would go the SBT reman route with your seadoo and then you can decide to keep it or sell it. I think you would end up liking it and keep it.

I am thinking about doing that. I still have the Sea Doo and am looking for another trailer to put it on. I can get that SBT motor brand new on ebay for $2600 which I will eventually do. I know someone that works on these Sea Doos. He said that he would put the new motor in for around $2000. After riding this Yamaha a couple times, I think that I might like the Sea Doo better. The Sea Doo may ride better. I noticed that you get wet a lot on the Yamaha when you hit a wave. All of that water hits you and it feels cold even at 90 degrees. I am thinking about rebuilding the Sea Doo in the fall/winter.

$2000 in labor to replace an engine? I don't know but that sounds steep especially if someone is doing it on the side how many hours does a swap take?? I can't imagine it takes 20 hours and that's paying someone $100/hour to do it on the side? Maybe I am off but that sounds like a lot. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back