2012 Speedster Low RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

vankwfl123

Greetings, I just put my recently purchased 2012 Seadoo 155 Speedster in the water. Only 17 hours of use. It was not able to achieve over 5500 RPM and actually started being less during a 2-hour run. I would appreciate any thoughts on this...

If the system is producing an engine fault, this information would be helpful. How long has it been since last being used, is it possible the fuel has gone stale from age?

Generally I'd suggest replacing spark plugs but this engine should produce a diagnostic fault code if misfiring in one (or more) cylinder.

Are there any other symptoms besides lack of ability to rev out under load, such as rough idle?

becareful and do not try to force it, it maybe you got something stuck in the impeller, did you check your wear ring to make sure there is no obstruction?

No fault messages are being produced. The boat was not operated for approx. a year, but last week the dealership did a complete PM, including oil change, new battery, coolant change, spark plug change, complete fuel system cleaning, compression test, etc. Everything passed except that it ran at lower than normal RPMs when water tested. I have not looked into the impeller area, but it has been flushed with no problems. There is one broken toggle switch above the mode and set button(s) on the dash that allows toggle between function and I have considered that this may have something to do with it.
Could this be a throttle cable problem and can this cable be adjusted on these vessels?

It wouldn't hurt to crawl under the boat with a flashlight and have a look up inside the pump, als from the rear you can look into the steering nozzle with the shifter in forward. Generally though when something's stuck in the pump the RPM's are higher than normal for the speed attained.

I'm wondering if the service dealership water tested your boat, for the amount of work done thus money they charged they should've. Hopefully they're capable of doing that, there's no other way of testing a boat properly. Could be this problem is a result of something they did or missed, during the service.

It wouldn't hurt to crawl under the boat with a flashlight and have a look up inside the pump, als from the rear you can look into the steering nozzle with the shifter in forward. Generally though when something's stuck in the pump the RPM's are higher than normal for the speed attained.

I'm wondering if the service dealership water tested your boat, for the amount of work done thus money they charged they should've. Hopefully they're capable of doing that, there's no other way of testing a boat properly. Could be this problem is a result of something they did or missed, during the service.

I'm sorry I don't know what I was thinking your right, if there was something stuck the rpms would go higher not the speed, lol..

Wow so now I'm mesmerized, bad fuel? bad plug (even if they changed them)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, could be nearly anything. Hopefully it's simple!

Cheapy, do you recall if the corroded connector that occurs on the rear of helm instrument pod is a cause of low speed, seems to me when the speedo signal to the computer is noisy or missing the computer limits speed?

I've forgotten exact detail of the symptoms.

Yep, could be nearly anything. Hopefully it's simple!

Cheapy, do you recall if the corroded connector that occurs on the rear of helm instrument pod is a cause of low speed, seems to me when the speedo signal to the computer is noisy or missing the computer limits speed?

I've forgotten exact detail of the symptoms.

wow!! you reminded me of something that happened to me before on my other boat and ski.. my voltage regulator rectifier!! it wouldn't go over like a 5000 rpms!

ok did some googling, found this, an exhaust leak?

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=388902&page=3

Last edited by a moderator:
No fault messages are being produced. The boat was not operated for approx. a year, but last week the dealership did a complete PM, including oil change, new battery, coolant change, spark plug change, complete fuel system cleaning, compression test, etc. Everything passed except that it ran at lower than normal RPMs when water tested. I have not looked into the impeller area, but it has been flushed with no problems. There is one broken toggle switch above the mode and set button(s) on the dash that allows toggle between function and I have considered that this may have something to do with it.
Could this be a throttle cable problem and can this cable be adjusted on these vessels?

No throttle cable 2012 has fly by wire throttle.

I just looked at the parts it looks like there is a throttle cable however it's hooked into a sensor?

Technically yes, but there is no direct mechanical connection to the throttle body. There is a cable with no apparent adjustment, mechanically connecting the throttle lever and the aforementioned sensor which in turn sends an electrical signal to control the actual throttle body.

Technically yes, but there is no direct mechanical connection to the throttle body. There is a cable with no apparent adjustment, mechanically connecting the throttle lever and the aforementioned sensor which in turn sends an electrical signal to control the actual throttle body.

I wish I would have known this, I would've waited out to buy a 2012 instead :(
oh well.. you think the computer could be in learning mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back