2012 RXP-X head gasket replacement - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellowDuck

Hi all. 2012 RXP 260 here, was completely rebuilt last fall from pistons / cylinders up by a supposedly professional mechanic, and using a used take-off head that was in good shape (no leaks), which the mechanic had decked (he says).

Now, with just a few break-in hours on the motor, the head gasket has blown. I won't take it back to the same guy. Instead I will attempt the gasket replacement myself, using OEM bolts and gasket. I have the manual, and will get an angle gauge for my torque wrench. I've watched the videos online and read the manual - I understand the procedure including locking the cam and crank, etc.

My fear is ending up with the same result, and wasting $200+ in parts. I think I can check warpage on the head (is a granite countertop, or perhaps a pane of glass, a suitably flat surface?).

Anything else I should check before bolting it back together?

Thanks.

Have the head checked at a machine shop for both flatness and that the valves are sealing. Not expensive.

Recheck head bolts to 75 ft-lbs after torquing procedure to make sure they didn't overstretch. Many new ones fail the first time. You can even feel them give out. Replace those if they don't at least hold that torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back