2011 RXTX steering pulling/steering alignment issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeesq25

I have 2011 RXTX. Runs great low hours. Just did a bunch of maintenance including steering alignment. Had to hold ski at 10-10:30 to go straight at idle and speed. I pulled ski out of water and attempted alignment at the handlebars per the shop manual but the plastic nut just kept turning with no jet adjustment. Felt like the nut was just spinning so I stopped before I broke something.

Fortunately the adjustment I needed was more threads on the linkage so I got a coupler nut and threaded rod and added 3/4” to the linkage at the pump. Problem solved so I thought - at least now straight handlebars = straight jet pump.

However as soon as I hit speed, back to 10-10:30 to keep it straight. No OTAS on this ski.

What am I missing !!?!?!??? Any help appreciated !

Can you post a photo of both ends where it attaches on the cable, at the nozzle of the pump and at the steering wheel?

Photos of linkage, jet pump, and behind handlebars CD29515A-E80E-43CC-A527-5DC5C6797D46.png

Attachments

• 1F0BDD88-696C-4031-B7EE-2A01263B3A78.png
    1F0BDD88-696C-4031-B7EE-2A01263B3A78.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • F5FD9DE4-CCB0-4713-90B2-0DEBB256EAB5.jpeg
    F5FD9DE4-CCB0-4713-90B2-0DEBB256EAB5.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 64AF438E-1BB1-49E4-8C0C-8D7DE6A75766.jpeg
    64AF438E-1BB1-49E4-8C0C-8D7DE6A75766.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 8
Ok,

First things first. The threaded end of the handle bars appears to be completely threaded out. This could be that the nut is stripped or it is just backed right out. If you didn't loosen the 2 bolts ahead for the steering clamp before you tried to adjust the steering bolt, you may have stripped it.

If it were me.

1.. Remove the modification you made to the jet end of the pump as this will not work.
2.. Put the thread back on and thread it to the middle of the thread.
3.. Loosen the 2 bolts on the steering clamp. (Do not remove them)
4.. Pull the thread through with the adjustment bolt. Bring it as far in as you can before you start getting resistance.
5.. Put the straight and observer the alignment of the pump.
6.. If you need to adjust, adjust at the front linkage first. One turn at a time. If you start seeing threads and you need more, adjust the rest at the pump.

Cheers,

Ok,

First things first. The threaded end of the handle bars appears to be completely threaded out. This could be that the nut is stripped or it is just backed right out. If you didn't loosen the 2 bolts ahead for the steering clamp before you tried to adjust the steering bolt, you may have stripped it.

If it were me.

1.. Remove the modification you made to the jet end of the pump as this will not work.
2.. Put the thread back on and thread it to the middle of the thread.
3.. Loosen the 2 bolts on the steering clamp. (Do not remove them)
4.. Pull the thread through with the adjustment bolt. Bring it as far in as you can before you start getting resistance.
5.. Put the straight and observer the alignment of the pump.
6.. If you need to adjust, adjust at the front linkage first. One turn at a time. If you start seeing threads and you need more, adjust the rest at the pump.

Cheers,
Thank you. So the modification does actually keep the jet pump straight, at least at idle speed. Before the modification, the jet pump was not straight which is why I did the modification which seemed to be the obvious problem. It seems as if the jet pump changes position after I hit speed or something else happens. Not sure if it is possible but could the cable be tightening at speed ?

As to the plastic adjustment nut, I have tried turning it many times. I cannot get it to bite. My thought is that the nut is stripped. Any thoughts on how to easily accomplish your #4? It is basically a one hand/arm effort to do anything under there. Is there an easy way to disassemble the cable from
the handlebars and work the adjustment nut on topside ?

It keeps the pump straight because you added a piece about the length of the threaded rod that is pulled out.

If you could see that part while riding, my guess is the whole thing is pulling away from the bolt when you put force on it.

It should thread in. If it does not, the bolt is damaged. You need to replace this as all of this will put forces on the cable and casing that may cause them to fray and fail.

The only thing i can think off as a possibility is that the bolt and thread operate in a reverse thread.

Couldn't you just approach this problem by installing a new steering cable assembly?

Loosen and raise the handlebar assembly slightly or whatever for some more room if absolutely required?

After a correct cable replacement, you will have eliminated THAT part of the problem... and then take it from there.

Make the steering SAFE first by eliminating that entire damaged adjuster nut thread situation.

Then... go back and see where you are with the steering centering or thrust issue or whatever the original problem was.

It certainly can't hurt with the saltwater corrosion that is apparent in the pictures, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back