2011 GTX limp mode…won’t start..wait…starts right up.

#Brandon

Hey fellas, new member…thanks for any advice offered.
Scenario: Just purchased a 2011 GTX (125 Hrs) and ran on the water for 3 days and she ran like a top. Son was riding it and said it went to limp mode from WOT so he limped it to the dock and shut it off. Then tried to start it and it would crank, but not start. Towed over to the trailer got her out of the water and she fired right up…no codes or anything. No engine light no oil light, nothing. Anyone have this happen before? Thanks again

The code will not display on the MFD unless it's active. If it went into limp mode it probably stored a code. If it keeps doing it, BUDS or Candoo to read stored codes.

The code will not display on the MFD unless it's active. If it went into limp mode it probably stored a code. If it keeps doing it, BUDS or Candoo to read stored codes.
10-4…I think I’ll have to bite the bullet and pick one of those up for future maintenance anyway. Thanks

Update: took her to the boat ramp and set her in the water…fired her up and in about 20-30 seconds I got a high exhaust temp code…shut her off and brought her home. I’m assuming that’s the code she was throwing out while my son was riding it, he just didn’t look. Brought her home and hooked up the hose and she ran for about 3 minutes with no overheat code. My question is that I noticed when she was in the water at the dock when I would try to go forward or reverse it’s almost like she had zero thrust. She got louder and some bubble came out the back, but no real thrusting power, can a bad wear ring cause excessive exhaust heat. I’m gonna grab one and replace it anyway just to be safe but the way I understand it it that the exhaust counts on the pump pressure and if the wear ring is bad or impeller then that might be my culprit…thoughts?

Download a Service Manual for your ski on eBay for $15. It will save you bunch of money maintenance wise. There is a specified distance between the impeller and wear ring that you check with a feeler gauge and you are correct on pump pressure and cooling water flow. If the previous owner did not back flush the exhaust cooling system regularly it could be clogged up. There are three small holes just before the muffler that aspirate water that could be clogged. Incorrect back flushing can water flood your engine so also make sure you read the Operators manual also, which is available on the Seadoo website if you don't have one. Also, buy a OEM wear ring, they need to fit correctly.

Download a Service Manual for your ski on eBay for $15. It will save you bunch of money maintenance wise. There is a specified distance between the impeller and wear ring that you check with a feeler gauge and you are correct on pump pressure and cooling water flow. If the previous owner did not back flush the exhaust cooling system regularly it could be clogged up. There are three small holes just before the muffler that aspirate water that could be clogged. Incorrect back flushing can water flood your engine so also make sure you read the Operators manual also, which is available on the Seadoo website if you don't have one. Also, buy a OEM wear ring, they need to fit correctly.
Really appreciate the advice. I took apart the muffler and found those three holes already and they were all clear. My gut says it’s gonna be the wear ring…picking up one this afternoon and will report back the result after it’s changed out. Thanks again for the advice. I’ll definitely pick up a service manual as well.

Back