2010 Seadoo Challenger 210SE - Little to no boost

rotaxrule1

Hello folks,

First of all, let me just say that I totally love this boat I have (2010 Seadoo Challenger 210SE), but I have been chasing a minor issue down since I have bought the boat. Although it runs smoothly and has plenty of grunt, it tops out at about 6800 RPM on the port and starboard motor and only hits maybe 45-48MPH top speed. From what I understand, this boat is capable of about 8000 RPM and speeds in the low to mid 50s. Let me give you a little background of the things I have checked over the time I have owned it.

- Oil has been changed every year by me, amsoil marine 10w40 that is supposed to be designed for the supercharged motors. Oil level is perfect and sitting at full level of dipstick line
- Superchargers were serviced by PWC Muscle in early 2022 at about 200 hours
- I've reset the throttle position and maintenance reminder using my candoopro
- I've only ran ethanol free premium fuel since I have owned it
- Last week, I did the non-technical supercharger slip test (with my hands) and confirmed the clutches are not excessively loose.
- As part of my troubleshooting process (and because I like to have gauges) I added boost gauges last winter to both motors and have them connected using one of the little nipples on the intake manifold (drilled it out). They read vacuum and boost levels as expected, but at WOT, I can only get maybe 2PSI consistently out of each engine, and sometimes they flutter as if the clutch may be slipping.

These symptoms have been there since I bought the boat, prior to its first oil change and prior to the supercharger service. Originally, I was thinking that doing the supercharger service would fix my issue, but it hasn't. I am trying to get a hold of PWC Muscle via their site on the contact us page, but it doesn't have any email address or phone number where I can call and get some help. I have been teasing the idea of doing the X charger upgrade (mentioned on another thread), but I want to make sure I am not wasting my money on that if I have a boost leak or problem elsewhere.

If the folks at PWC muscle can chime in here, or any of you folks that know the old 215 4tec motors really well, that would be much appreciated.

Usually you'll only get 4500 rpm if it's the supercharger. Might be bad plugs, leaky intercooler, or even bead bearing in jet pump.

Our number is 888-605-2335, but easiest emailing sales@pwcmuscle.com

Thanks @JoeZ - plugs are fairly new, replaced last year I think. I will still check them and see how it's burning. I've re-greased the jet pumps this spring, and they look healthy. I am not sure about the intercooler though.

I'd think if it had any leaks, I'd be getting water back into the intake and the engine would be acting up, right? Another interesting component of this is that the port and starboard motors behave exactly the same, so I doubt I have the same failure on 2 different engines. If you have any tricks on disabling the ITC sync to help me isolate whether one of the engines is slowing them both down, that would be awesome. I should also add that I intermittently get a beeping check engine light that goes away at least once a trip. Lately, I have had the "limp home mode" display but only briefly and then it goes away - this has to be related somehow.

Back