2009 Rxt 255 Stator & voltage Regulator problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerhardNel

Good Day everyone, this is my very 1st time to post. I hope I can get some results.

I have a 2009 Rxt 255 IS, it's been fitted with some fishing pods (tubbies) for some offshore fishing. A month before we fitted the fishing pods we took the Ski out for a fishing trip and we got the surf really bad. And we're rolled over and got filled with salt water.

We immediately drained all water, and flushed the motor with new oil and plugs. The rest were all OK. So we fitted the fishing pods to take it for another trip but the next trip never happened because of our covid regulations we haven't been on the water again. The ski had stand for Over a year and a half.

When our covid restrictions had been lifted we take the ski out on a dam and only to find we needed to change the wearing cause it was cavitating at the stage. We had it repaired. Now to find that the battery isn't charging at all.

I took it to a boating expert and said that the stator and voltage regulator is damage and needs replacement.

Can this still be from the salt water that was filled into the engine compartment that could possibly moist the stator? And caused a short?

For sure, especially if salt water sat in the stator for a year and half.
Take it apart and clean all the corrosion and then test the stator/magneto.

Salt water eats everything.when you first got ski running after you filled it how many oil and filter changes did you do.and did your expert actually test the stator or assuming.i would check and test your harness and all the grounds before you pull the pto

I have an '07 RXT that rolled and got some water in the hull in the Chesapeake... Thought I got it all rinsed and good but about a month after, that salt water corroded the grounds on the main harness giving me all kinds of problems with starting and limp modes and stuff... Poormanracing and skiasylum are right, check and test the harnesses with a voltmeter and you'll probably want to take apart and clean the stator/magneto to be doubly safe you don't have more problems.

If you have a shop manual, there should be a section on electrical testing and expected resistance ranges for the harnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back