2009 Challenger 255HP Issues HELP

David Sever

Hi Guys
Just bought this boat and I have had a few issues like fuses and what not that I have been able to figure out myself. How ever I got a new problem and I have no idea what’s going on.
So yesterday the boat was taken out and I was running fine and then we slowed down shut the boat off and floated and then started up agai. The Boat starts fine and runs fine in nutreul, fwd and reverse.
Once you give the boat throttle it won’t come up to speed and I only can do 8 at 4000 RPM. Once I brought the boat up to 5000rpm the throttle started shaking and the boat was making a high pitched noise and Almost sounded like a clunk from the bottom of the engine near the exhaust.
I pulled the boat from the water pulled the drains the and the water was extremely hot/ warm. I inspected the wear ring and impeller and both were fine. So was the throttle plate.

Or you sucked up something in the pump, look in the pump from the underside but may have fallen out. Only takes a 1/4" stick to make it cavitate. The clunk is when you spit something out of the pump. The water was hot because it will overheat quickly when you have an obstruction in the pump due to reduced water flow through the cooling circuit.

Back