2008 Supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTJeeper

I have a 2008 RXP x 255 that I purchased used from a good friend. While he owned it he never had the supercharger rebuild and neither have I. My plan is to get it rebuilt this summer. But, the supercharger has never really worked. Whenever I have the general service done the mechanic will fix it for me, the previous owner did the same, but after riding for about 5 minutes it will stop working until I take it back in again. The mechanic always says that the exhaust return comes off and shuts down the supercharger.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I personally can not figure it out.

Thanks, Grant

I have a 2008 RXP x 255 that I purchased used from a good friend. While he owned it he never had the supercharger rebuild and neither have I. My plan is to get it rebuilt this summer. But, the supercharger has never really worked. Whenever I have the general service done the mechanic will fix it for me, the previous owner did the same, but after riding for about 5 minutes it will stop working until I take it back in again. The mechanic always says that the exhaust return comes off and shuts down the supercharger.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I personally can not figure it out.

Thanks, Grant

Okay...this is what you say to your "mechanic"...

WHAT THE FCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Got that? Exactly how I have it written.

What exhaust return?...have him show it to you...then take a picture of it so you can post it here.

Then ask him exactly how he "fixes" the sc.

Look... I dunno how "good a friend the po is/was...dunno what you paid for a 255hp ski that never comes close to top speed...unless you have it "fixed" after 5min of riding...

I'm gonna start with what you should already know and understand of how your ski makes power.

Your sc is gear driven. That mean the sc wheel is spinning as soon as the motor fires. It doesn't actually start to make real "boost" till about 5k rpm. Your sc has clutches that will allow your wheel to free spin when the boat comes under sudden load...like after landing on the water after being airborne from wave jumping. These clutches will also slip after a while and not allow the sc to make optimum boost.

What your sc does to make power...has absolutely nuthin to do with the exhaust...unless your exhaust system becomes disconnected and suffocates the motor with gases....and maybe floods the engine compartment with water...drowning your motor...sinking your ski.

Okay...this is what you say to your "mechanic"...

WHAT THE FCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Got that? Exactly how I have it written.

What exhaust return?...have him show it to you...then take a picture of it so you can post it here.

Then ask him exactly how he "fixes" the sc.

Look... I dunno how "good a friend the po is/was...dunno what you paid for a 255hp ski that never comes close to top speed...unless you have it "fixed" after 5min of riding...

I'm gonna start with what you should already know and understand of how your ski makes power.

Your sc is gear driven. That mean the sc wheel is spinning as soon as the motor fires. It doesn't actually start to make real "boost" till about 5k rpm. Your sc has clutches that will allow your wheel to free spin when the boat comes under sudden load...like after landing on the water after being airborne from wave jumping. These clutches will also slip after a while and not allow the sc to make optimum boost.

What your sc does to make power...has absolutely nuthin to do with the exhaust...unless your exhaust system becomes disconnected and suffocates the motor with gases....and maybe floods the engine compartment with water...drowning your motor...sinking your ski.

Next time I take it in I will ask to see exactly what it is he fixes every time. Thanks for the help.

We can for sure help. But we need to know what he is fixing each time. The fact that it is every time you ride is representative of an issue itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your ski is supercharged so it shouldn't have anything to do with your exhaust, now if it was turbocharged then thats a different story.

We can for sure help. But we need to know what he is fixing each time. The fact that it is every time you ride is representative of an issue itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, when I get home today I will open it up and take some photos of anything that doesn't seem right. Once I take it in I will have the mechanic show me exactly what it is he has been doing as well.

When I got home I went out to look at the engine bay again. Nothing really seemed to jump out at me other than this. A plastic tube located in the back left of the engine bay when facing the front. The tube looks like it slid down from the marks on the connecting piece a bit higher up. I don't really know if this is the problem but it would be great to get some input on it.

112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A plastic tube located in the back left of the engine bay when facing the front. The tube looks like it slid down from the marks on the connecting piece a bit higher up. I don't really know if this is the problem but it would be great to get some input on it.

112.jpg

Could you back up a bit...hard to get a frame of reference. That pic...shows the port side front(on bottom) to back(at top)?

I bet I know what he is talking about. He is talking about the "exhaust" of the supercharger, which feeds into the external intercooler on this model. I bet the hose is blowing off, so he loses boost.

This can be a major PITA, you need some better clamps, and to clean the mating surface better to keep the hoses on. You cant just put the hose back on and tighten the clamp.

I bet I know what he is talking about. He is talking about the "exhaust" of the supercharger, which feeds into the external intercooler on this model. I bet the hose is blowing off, so he loses boost.

This can be a major PITA, you need some better clamps, and to clean the mating surface better to keep the hoses on. You cant just put the hose back on and tighten the clamp.

That would explain perfectly what is happening.

As a general rule, when you lose the Inter-Cooler (IC) you normally lose about 30 MPH. The numbers add up...

That sounds like my exact issue. It all makes sense with what the mechanic explained as well. And I loose about 20 mph of my top speed which also matches up with what Coastiejoe said in his post. I know you said it's a PITA but do you know where it is located in the engine bay, and if I need any special tools to get to it?

Could you back up a bit...hard to get a frame of reference. That pic...shows the port side front(on bottom) to back(at top)?

Sorry that's the only pic I took. The phone is vertical so up is up and down is down. The camera is facing the back of the ski on the port side.

Sorry that's the only pic I took. The phone is vertical so up is up and down is down. The camera is facing the back of the ski on the port side.

Okay....with what everyone else is guessing..here's what you do...

Take the easy stuff off the top...seat..any hull vent hoses ect. Time for you to look at a schematic...and a performance parts ad sheet. look up superchargers and intercoolers for your ski. See what they look like.

Now at the back of the motor...port side...your exhaust runs into a waterbox(muffler). you may need to remove a hose or two. at the bottom aft of the motor is a snail shaped thing...that's your sc. The intake is in the center..the exhaust...heh...leads to your external intercooler. those hoses and clamps are what you're inspecting.

When you lose boost the motor exhaust note...tune...sounds good...full power...all of a sudden...power drops to crap as well as the exhaust note?

Whenever I have the general service done the mechanic will fix it for me, the previous owner did the same, but after riding for about 5 minutes it will stop working until I take it back in again. The mechanic always says that the exhaust return comes off and shuts down the supercharger.

I say it's time to get a good mechanic or learn to do the work yourself.
1) Your mechanic should have been able to put a clamp on that hose so it should have never came off in the first place.
2) Your mechanic never explained how things work to you, so can relate the problems back to him.
3) You need to take some responsibility for letting this cycle of fix/broken/fix/broken to continue.

Really good mechanics are precious and damn hard to fine. However a lot of them just fix without thinking nor caring. That's what I love about this forum, this group of Seadoo owners care about their craft to learn and share.

Learning the systems on your craft will payoff as you can diagnose problems on the water faster. Good luck on getting it fixed. That 255 RXP is sweet fast craft.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This weekend if I have some time I will try to strip everything down and try to solve the issue. I will also talk to some other people I know and ask where they take their skis to and if they like/dislike their mechanic.

I have heard of people having the issue of the supercharger hose blowing off, do what they said above and you should be set!! That MECHANIC of yours does not know what he is doing, you can clearly see that the house keeps sliding off and a good mechanic should put 2+2 together and get a 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back