2008 Seadoo Islandia 430 Intermittent Tachs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramtuff89

Hey All,
This is my first post on here. I have a 2008 islandia with the twin 4tec 215HP engines. I have had it for almost a year now and it is an awesome boat. The last time I went out on the boat I had an issue with the tachometer on both engines. They will randomly stick and freeze up and then after a few seconds they come back to life and read normal. :facepalm: In the same trip they both froze at the same time and the same rpm, once at 5000rpm and then again at 7000rpm. Has anybody else had this issue? Is there a fix for this? I have seen a few posts on other forums but no fixes. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 08 Speedster with the same set-up. It's usually the plastic wheels on the bottom of the hull that need some lubrication or may have sand/silt/debris that prevent them from spinning freely. . Get under the boat and spray some WD40 on them , spin them and you should be fine. This happens a couple of times per season for us. That has always been the easy fix for me.

Hope it works. Too early in the season for problems !

Happened to me once last season. I decoupled all electrical connectors in the engine compartment, and the one behind the dashboard, cleaned and added some dielectric grease to seal and prevent corrosion. Never happened again...

I have the 08 Speedster with the same set-up. It's usually the plastic wheels on the bottom of the hull that need some lubrication or may have sand/silt/debris that prevent them from spinning freely. . Get under the boat and spray some WD40 on them , spin them and you should be fine. This happens a couple of times per season for us. That has always been the easy fix for me.

Hope it works. Too early in the season for problems !

The wheel is for the speedo, not the tach.

As eclipse said... pull the plugs apart... clean, grease, reassemble. (should help)

Thank you very very much Dr Honda and Eclipse, I will try this and let you all know. Do you know if there is a chance that the crank position sensors or the VCM could be causing this?

Any luck with this am seeing the same issue on 2007 NA Seadoo Islandia - but I think I also have an unrelated issue - my starboard engine dies at any RPM very often - seems it did not like sitting in the garage for the winter (mild az winter - only did the seasonal oil+filter change and coolant change) - Am suspecting fuel issue - engines are 2007 normally aspirated and only have 72hrs total. Last year I had the same issue and after running them for about 30 minutes all was well, but this year its been a few hours with only one doing much better and the starboard is still diying when I reduce the RPMs to 3k or less (at random) Candoopro shows no codes - stoping the coils one by one is inferring 2 cylinders (#2 & #3) of the 3 are possibly to blame (shocked it could run this way, so my inference may be full of it) Am reaching this conclusion because it runs like crap, and if i kill coil #1 it dies but if I kill #2 or #3 it continues to run like crap - hard part is that it dies very often so its hard to make any conclusions. Note: I did use a can of seafoam on a half tank of gas (2ish gallons) at the start of the season as that seemed to help the previous season, but no help for one engine. I also think (but not sure) that I used stabile after my last run of last season, but am not sure of this or if it was seafoam instead. Am thinking fuel injectors getting gummed up, but its a guess - they all buzz with crandoopro override. Had them at about 6-7k RPM, running great for about a minute, but then went back to 2-5k rpm and it went back to running 500-2000 RPM below the other engine's RPM :( Any ideas of things to check. By the way what is the intake pressure in candoopro supposed to be, I presume not fuel as its only around 7.5PSI but that matches the other engine?

pressure is intake manifold,
change plugs, swap injectors around and coil packs. jump on the candoo forum for q&a on candoo then spread the knowledge here....

Mine had the same issue when I originally bought the boat. Seadoo put injector cleaner through the rail and I never had an issue from that point on. You may want to do an injector balance test. This will tell you if any of the injectors are leaking or clogged, but you need to hook a fuel pressure gauge to the rail to perform this test.

First a big thanks to all - Issue is solved, engines are back to running great.

I took out the plugs and all 6 (yup both engines) had brown streaks at the base of the porcelain - so I replace them all after at most 72 hours of use. This time I put dialectic on the inside walls of the boot part of the coil and I put some on the outside of the coil housing wherever there were transition of material and on the rubber lips that mate to the engine block.

I also pulled the 3 injectors and sprayed carb cleaner into each injector using the candoopro to buzz the injectors about 4 times - think they did not have as good a spray on the first pulse but that may be my imagination or poor cleaning jig - the pressure came from the can of carb cleaner through the tiny red straw into the cap of a tire valve stem (valve removed) then I would twist/force the other end of the stem onto the fuel rail side of the injector (bring removed) and then spray and simultaniously buzz - using a towel to collect the spray.

I also measured the pressure on the full rail and it looked good - 40PSI if memory serves. eBay click fit setup, pretty nice - debating if I want to get a second one to leave on the other engine.

One more lesson learned - don't pull the plugs at the lake, thought the coil seals them in the tube, thus keeping them clean, not the case and my engines are spic and span - I happened to look in and saw some crud on the side lip just about to fall into the cylinder - think its dried up grease but none the less I did not like that - now I pull the coils and spray high pressure air before pulling the plug.

I do have a sub 200RPM difference in the RPMs, but the Islandia is back to peaking at around 45MPH (gps - using stargazer cruise control readout)

So what did it, Don't know for sure I suspect the injectors, as that is all i did on one engine and the issue came after sitting for several months. Wondering if next end of season I should run engines and shut off the fuel pump and let them run dry - thoughts?

thanks hope this helps others too.

Thanks Pete63 - manifold: meaning air pressure on intake side - odd I thought I saw a reading when off, maybe an artifact of shutting down - don't know will look next time I hook up crandoopro.

regarding the instruments freezing that is still to be debugged, but it did not happen on the last trip - just lucky is all I can say, its likely a loose connection for a signal all the gages have in common -I have done extensive rewiring as I did not like the distributed fuses (hard to find the day something goes wrong in the rocking boat on the lake) so have added a fuse box and distributed from there, so may have a loose connection - so far no rust :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back