2008 RXT-X with 7 hours and BLOWN MOTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

2008rxtx

I have had nothing but problems out of my BRAND NEW, bone stock, RXT-X that just hit a WHOPPING SEVEN HOURS on it, and blew huge chunks of metal out the bottom of the motor. I have only put 2.5 - 3.0 hours on this ski the rest of the time has been put on this ski by the servicing dealership that has had this ski on three occasions now since I purchased this ski in mid July of this year. I am F***'N irrate with this piece of crap. Here is a list of my problems.
1) Jet ski showed low 12 VOLT each time I started it the first time out at the lake. I charged it over night with my battery tender and that did not to help the condition of this useless battery. I purchased a new Gel Cell battery and installed it myself back in mid July--Problem solved.
2) My wife and daughter were riding the ski with 2.5 hours on it when the exhaust hose blew off, filling the boat with water until the engine finally quit and would not restart for them. Luckily she had her cell phone. By the time I got to her the back end of the ski was almost completely under water. This freaked both of them out so badly I still can't get my 10 year daughter back on this ski because she fears it is going to sink.
3) I took the ski to the dealer they performed the boil out procedure changed the plugs and performed the necessary supercharger rebuild specified by BRP.
4) I tried taking the ski out again this time the ski hesitated, bogged down, ran horribly and would not accelerate over 45 miles per hour in the entire length of the lake. Not wanting to do more harm to this ski we immediately called it a day and packed this ski up and returned to the dealer.
5) The dealership had the ski over a week and finally diagnosed, after lake testing my ski that the battery terminal was a hair loose. I stated, you guys were the last one to work on the motor and supercharger so one of your techs must not have tightened it all the way. Hew said that they never had to touch the battery. This cost me $104.00 since they said that I was the one to install the Gel Cell battery. I called BRP which accomplished absolutely nothing. In their defense, they called BRP while I was their and was told to charge me. I paid the bill and they actually called me several days later and told me that they got $84.00 credited back to my account.
6) The weather here in MI finally warmed up and quit raining so my family and friends planned another day at the lake. I started the ski and it fired up perfectly, but as soon as I let off the throttle it died immediately. I tried excellerating across the lake and than letting off the throttle and the ski DIED again immediately. I had my cell and called the dealership completely pissed off. They said to bring it in and possibly the plugs were bad but it was tough to diagnose over the phone. I asked what they have been doing with my ski the last few time it has been with them and they had lake tested and done the boil out procedure which accounted to over 4.5 hours which is DOUBLE the time that I have actually spent on my ski. I asked if it was safe to ride it and he said yes.
7) I got off the phone with the service department and decided it was not worth tearing up this new ski riding it any more than I had to. On the back to the drop off area I heard an extremely large metal on metal explosion which resulted in a ton of smoke billowing out from the front cover and ski, I had my wife and daughter jump off the ski and I raised the front hood to get the fire extinguisher. No need ---no fire thank God. I got towed back into shore by my friend and I was back off to the dealership again. When I got there they removed the seat because I told them when I opened the drain plugs that I noticed oil pouring out of both of them. The same guy that told me it was safe to drive looked at the motor and started pulling several 2-3 inch pieces of metal out from the bottom of the motor. I was just amazed that a ski with just 7 hours on it could have thrown a rod or whatever might have happened.
I am completely new to this PWC arena and I have had nothing short of a nightmare with my less than 3 hours of riding this SUPPOSED GREAT SKI. Sorry for the novel but I needed to vent and I have no idea how something like this could happen. I am waiting to hear back from the dealership today. I was told that BRP will NEVER REPLACE a ski with a new one. I have had nothing but problems with this ski from the dead battery to the hose falling off causing the engine to fill with water and now a blown motor. What is my time and aggravation worth to BRP. I lost an entire weeks vacation on a lake because of the battery and hose falling off. Oh well, I need to go and try to get my Blood Pressure to come back down to a normal level before I give BRP a little ring of my own.

The dealer should replace it with BRP's recommendations, if everything you said is totally true. I hear of other members ranting on about their seadoo being junk too, but we only hear one side of the story, with some of the facts forgotten or left out.

I just hope you get situated in the end and get a reliable seadoo to have fun on.

Karl

I wish you the best of luck with BRP, they can be difficult to get ahold of. It sounds as if it was a crap assembly job by your dealership to begin with. To be honest, i would have taken it in at the battery issue. I believe that the manual states not tot attempt to charge the battery, and if the problem persists to contact the dealership. I am sure there was damage done to the exhaust system without proper cooling, and enging/supercharger damage when the hull filled with warter and the intake sucked it up and whatever else that was in it(chemicals, debris, ect). I hope you get this resolved, they are fun when they work, and i know from living in Michigan, you need to take advantage of the time that you can spend on the water, because there isnt much of it. Have faith my friend.

Did you perform the proper break in procedure? I failed to do that on my new 2007 Sea-Doo RXP and blew the supercharger as well as the clutch. I was "Pinnin it to win it" the whole first 10 hours and wish i never did. I never had this problem so i couldnt tell you but maybe it is because you didnt break it in properly. Good Luck!

One thing you can't do is nail it from a dead stop you have to ease into it. My buddies threw a rod by doing that. Best of luck

Guys, he came on in September, made that one post, and hasn't been back since. Actually, it looks like he came back and didn't like the responses he got, and THEN never came back.

I feel for the guy. Nobody likes to buy something and have it blow up in their face while it is still "new". I hope it worked out for him in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back