2007 Islandia Speaker Specs/Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

atom2

Hello all. As the title says, I am looking to replace all four OEM Clarion speakers in a 2007 Islandia. The current ones are completely rotted and would like to replace them with some aftermarts (or OEM if the price is right). Does anyone know the specs of the stock speakers/stereo system? I can't seem to find this information. I'd like to try and find direct replacements so I won't need to bother with an external amp. Just something that the OEM headunit can power.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think there is anything to know other than they should be 6.5" marine speakers. I dropped 6.5" Alpine Marine speakers in the stock location and have had great luck with them. The amp just allows cleaner power to go to the speakers as the stock deck isn't exactly high-power.

There are nice 6.5" marine speakers from Alpine, Kicker, JL Audio, Sony and others. Since they can get exposure to moisture, I would recommend marine versions. Amps and head units don't need to be as they can be protected from moisture in other ways.

Good luck!

Excellent, thanks! I was mainly afraid of under powering them and not getting enough sound. So it sounds like any 6.5" marine speakers should do.

Thanks again!

There are 6.5" component speakers, and I honestly could not tell you the difference. That's my lack of knowledge. But you should be fine if you are happy with what you have now. The system can drive 4 speakers now.

That being said, once you start spending some money, and figure out what an amp can do, then it's a downward spiral of cash! Someone can explain this better than I can. But what we experienced going from stock, to a nicer head unit and better speakers was cleaner sound, better tuner and more power.

When we added an amp and more speakers, the more power was cleaner, and the head unit didn't have to try to drive them all. Volume was better and sound quality at higher volume. When we added a sub, then we realized the lows were not being driven through the small 6.5" speakers and the whole system sounded better.

Of course a pair of amps, and a another pair of speakers and sub required a second battery, and isolator to protect our cranking a battery etc, etc. But you use these things, and it's money well spent.

My buddy just pulled his pontoon out of the stereo shop and had done similar to what we did. His Premiere pontoon had a nice Sony head unit and 4 kicker 6.5" speakers. Nice sound at low levels, but there was quite a bit of noise around the speakers, and they could not handle volume. They would crack at any increase in volume.

He had them put Dynomat around the speakers to kill the rattles and vibration. They put in a mono amp and a pair of subs. The head unit still drives the 4 kickers. with no amp. The sound difference is amazing just pulling the lows out of them. Subs are not really directional, but he had two installed as he is running a 23' boat.

It's all in what your checkbook can afford. But all of these items are building blocks.

Good luck!

Those seem like decent deals. The 10" Alpine Marine sub I used was a free-air sub that needed no sub box. So my local stereo shop installed in in the sidewall of the boat. It was shallow enough to work out well, and uses the hull as the sub box.

My buddies pontoon is setup similar to the Islandia where he has a console in the center that could handle the two subs he put in pointing forward and towards the rear. They did put enclosures around the 10" kicker subs he put in.

Ours is a nice clean install that take up no additional room. It is down along the side next to the passenger's thigh. The amps are installed under the port side console behind the radio. Nice high and dry. All kinds of space in there for both and they don't get real hot.

Most the popular marine speakers will sound like a huge improvement. I would bet you notice a big difference with the head unit being swapped too. Plus they have all the modern features like usb, bluetooth and iPod controls. I can't say enough good things about the clarion head unit. Ive had had 2 different ones and have been really happy with them. I used kicker marine speakers in the 98 and this current boat has the polk UM series. Both sounded very good. The kickers are a lot cheaper. You can find em for like 75 a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back