2006 seadoo challenger 180 cs - 2 beeps - nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsoltesz

I took my boat out today (2006 seadoo challenger 180 cs). Put it in the water and the boat fired right up. Drove around for about 20-30mins..ran great. I then shut it off to take a little break and when I went to start it back up, nothing happened. I put the landard on and got the normal 2 beeps but when I push the start/stop button, nothing happens. I checked the battery and I have power to everything else. I checked all the fuses and they were good. Luckily I was able to find a fellow boater out there who ended up towing me in. When I got back home I took the dash off and did a volt test to the start/stop button, button was okay. Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

The only thing I can think of is the boat is not in neutral. I did the same thing before and the the boat was still in gear. You may have a problem with it looking like its in N, but not engaging(sp). That's about the extent of my knowledge.:ack:

I took my boat out today (2006 seadoo challenger 180 cs). Put it in the water and the boat fired right up. Drove around for about 20-30mins..ran great. I then shut it off to take a little break and when I went to start it back up, nothing happened. I put the landard on and got the normal 2 beeps but when I push the start/stop button, nothing happens. I checked the battery and I have power to everything else. I checked all the fuses and they were good. Luckily I was able to find a fellow boater out there who ended up towing me in. When I got back home I took the dash off and did a volt test to the start/stop button, button was okay. Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Batteries might be dead, just because the accessories work doesn't mean the batteries have enough juice to start the boat.

I don't think its the neutral switch because my manual says that I would get 4 beeps if it wasn't in neutral when putting the lanyard on.

I had the battery tested and fully charged before I took the boat out. Also, this boat has a voltage warning light if the battery is low.

I'm very stumped here. This boat is practially brand new and to just not start like this seems very bizare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too!

I have the same exact issue with my 2006 C180se. It only happens intermittently and I don't think it has ever happened the first time I start it that day. I place the "key" on the post and get the "normal" 2 beeps. Push the button. . . nada. nothing. No fault beeps. No I'm not in neutral beeps. Nothing. I usually end up taking the key off and making sure the boat is in neutral and all other accessories are off. After a few minutes or so, it will go ahead and fire up like nothing was ever wrong. The last time it happened (2 days ago) it would barely fire and then cut out again.
I took this issue to my local dealer last season and they said that they were having this problem with a couple other C180's and cannot find the cause of the problem. I think I may go agead and replace the start/stop switch anyway and see if that works. I would love for someone who has had this problem accurately diagnosed to chime in and help. SO FRUSTRATING!

Thanks-

SHickey - on KY Lake

My problem ended up being the neutral switch. My boat wouldn't turn over or do anything. If your boat is starting sometime it sounds like you may have a loose connection or ground. You can easily test your start/stop switch with a volt tester. How I tested my neutral switch was I took the neutral switch out and then just jumped the circuit and it fired right up. I replaced the neutral switch ($80 at local dealer) and everything has been fine. I have another post which goes through all the steps and trouble shooting I did http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=14488

Let me know.

update . . .

I did the neutral switch bypass and have been on the lake for 3 days without problem! I don't really understand why I wasn't getting an error code (beeps) indicating that it wasn't in neutral if the switch was bad. I just cut the wires and jumped the circuit. The boat will still not allow you to go full throttle in neutral or reverse so I really don't see any reason to replace the switch for $80. It is so freakin sweet when the engine fires right up every single time you hit the button. :hurray:

Another defective neutral switch cured

I have to thank you guys so much. I thought I was doomed. I was having same the same problem with my 2006 Challenger 180. It wouldn't start even though I was getting the "2 beeps, everything's OK" message. Got stuck out in the middle of the lake and had to be dragged back by a passing 12' fishing boat.

My authorized dealer was perplexed. He changed the starter solenoid twice, and gave us a new battery. We kept having the same non start problem intermittently. The dealer starting talking about replacing the onboard computer pac for $800. That's when I started Googling the 'Net, and came across this little thread. With the boat in the shop for the fourth time this summer, I suggested bypassing the neutral switch to the dealer. Guess what, it started every time and I've got the boat back with the bypass while we wait for a new neutral switch to arrive!! I am going the replace the neutral switch eventually, but for now, it's great to have a boat that starts every time.

It's also great to have a forum like this with people like dsoltesz and shickey willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Hi, I'm new here and have been trying to figure out what's wrong with my 2005 Challenger 180. When I insert the lanyard it gives 2 beeps, then 4 short beeps. 4 beeps indicate it's not in neutral but it is in neutral. I've tried moving it around and I never get the 1 beep to verify that I'm in neutral. My first attempt to start it, the engine tried to start but then the 4 beep started and it doesn't do anything now when I push the start button. Do you think I have the same problem?

4 Short beeps, boat is in neutral

I am currently having the exact same problem with my 2006 Seadoo Challenger and I was wondering if the steps could be made public so I could take a look at them and do the same. Thanks!

I had this exact same problem in 2010m on a trip to Lake Havasu...I never got 4 beeps, always the normal, ready to start two...but when I pressed the start button, nothing at all happened, tried jumping the solenoid to no avail... I wiggled the shift lever multiple times from F to R, it finally turned over, so I realized where the issue was...I then simply bi-passed the neutral switch, that was two years ago, and I have NEVER had a problem again. There is no prop to worry, and since my wife and I are the only one who start the boat,(no little kids or inexperienced boaters) there isn't danger of running into, or over someone/thing. I have since read where the neutral switch is a common problem in Seadoo boats...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back