2005 GTI RFI Overheates

Luis P

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi Guys new to the forum, I have a 2005 GTI RFI that overheats in the water after running for about twenty minutes. it does not piss at idle out of the pisser in the front left and requires at least half throttle to build up an inconsistent small stream. I checked the pisser line and it is clear, I checked the clear plastic line in the front of the engine connecting the bottom of the block to a T that looks to go to the exhaust and it has a lot of pressure when the ski is running in the water at idle. the ski seems to run fine on the hose and pisses like crazy when on a hose but no luck in the water.

For the twenty minutes it runs before it overheats it is an absolute blast. soun ds great runs great and hauls a**

Please give me tips on what to check, I am stumped, big time. also, i do not have a manual unfortunately.

Look at the rear discharge pipe for the cooling water. Did someone install a quick connect fitting there. That restricts waterflow and can cause overheating.

I open the water lines in different locations and gently blow air through the system. You can have partial blockages or restrictions. Have you Flushed the ski in the driveway? Water should flow out of the pisser very well when flushing. Good Luck !

Look at the rear discharge pipe for the cooling water. Did someone install a quick connect fitting there. That restricts waterflow and can cause overheating.

I open the water lines in different locations and gently blow air through the system. You can have partial blockages or restrictions. Have you Flushed the ski in the driveway? Water should flow out of the pisser very well when flushing. Good Luck !
No quick connect installed on the discharge pipe and when the hose is installed and on it pisses very well out the left front side.
I have blown in some of the pipes/ hoses but to no luck. Not really sure where I should blow. Any suggestions?

Buy a $30 laser thermometer, ride the ski with the seat off and find the hot spot. You might have to remove some of the fittings for visual verification. Check your water control valve on the rear water box. Is your sensor functioning properly ? Do the easy stuff first, you'll find it. Good Luck.

I've found a lot of sand and crap inside the cylinders housings. I'd make sure the drain at the bottom of the cylinders is clear.

A worn wear ring or bad pump water tube seals can cause overheating too.
I have an almost brand new stainless wear ring and new impeller with just a couple hours on them. How would I check that I’m receiving adequate pressure / flow from the pump? This is something I have been wondering. Going to clean and blow out the whole system first.

Back