2005 GTI 718 Engine Knock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yooper

I recently looked at this ski in cold storage and when I got it started the engine had a distinct knock. I have experience with the rave valve 2-cycles but not the rotary valve...is this noise normal or should I walk away?

dont walk away from engine problem. run unless you can buy dirt cheap and dont mind installing new engine you can pick one up from sbt for less than $1000.00 with a two year no fault garantee. but the nock could be a simple problem if you are very lucky. this is only my opinion lets hear what others have to say. i allso noticed that the 717 engine only went from 1996 to 2001 for gti. i am not sure if this info is correct but it seems to be. my bad you said 718 not 717

Last edited by a moderator:
Run!

:agree:.....how far did you make it. If your at least 200 feet away, then we can talk about it. You don't really give much info, like compression, plugs firing well, etc...but if you have the experience on 2-cycle engines as you stated, then you should know, no engine should knock, under normal conditions.
This could be a serious engine problem waiting for failure. Wrist pin in the connecting rods coming out, bad bearings, bent crank or drive shaft or any number of things.
Like Robin said, depends on how much your willing to put in it. You can get the engine (OEM remanfactured) as she states for less than $1000. So really, it's all up to you.
The knock is a bad sign of worse things to come!........

That was the last year for the 718-85 HP on the base GTI single carb. if the price is good buy it and rebuild the motor if needed but only if it is in mint shape and cheap.

2005 GTI Engine Knock

I did check the compression...it was good in both holes...130 plus. The spark was strong as well. The boat showed no sign of a roll over, but could have been cleaned up. Only 42-hours and original female owner who bought in '05. The ski is prestine, except for engine noise. That said...what is a good price for the risk. The package includes a '07 single place trailer.

Retail $.....

The retail value of the ski in excellent condition is about $4500 according to Kelly's blue book. But with the engine knock, I'd consider dropping $1000 for a new engine. That's not counting labor, I'd do it myself. With labor, it would be a bit more. If there are any defects (rip in seats, dings, damage, etc...) I'd deduct as I went along. That price doesn't count for the trailer. I'd add $400 for the trailer.
With you being experienced with the repair of the standard 2-cycle engine, can you localize the knock? Does it sound like it may be a connecting rod? The compression you've given is within good operating range so it's kinda hard to tell without actually being there. I might take a plug out, turn the piston up TDC and see if I can see any dings in the top, like something got into the combustion end........other than that, it's anybodys guess. If you can pop off the head and look into the cylinders to look at the pistons and sleeves to look for damage. If you do and you don't find any, then it's gonna be in the lower end...
If the ski is in excellent condition outside the knock, I'd probably want it and just do an engine replacement. Remember, if you do, you have to provide a rebuildable core to get a good price......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back