2004 utopia engine issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grivera

Premium Member
Premium Member
My 2004 utopia its acting weird. ( merc 240 efi) New to boating so here it goes... Throttling up and the engine seen to respond to the throttle (RPM's go up ) but the boat does not repond. The closest thing I could compare it to to, is to a car transition slipping , limited propulsion while the engine revs up. Any comments from this vague description?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it could be several things, but sounds like something that happened to me. Boat throttled up but started moving slowly then would go no faster when i gave it more throttle. Turned out i had run over a plastic bag. When on trailer got under it and looked at inlet (in center a few feet from rear of boat) and there was a plastic bag sucked in the inlet and almost completely covering the grate. When it happened my heart sunk as all the possibilities of what it could be raced through my head. Must admit it was someone else that mentioned to check the inlet. When i saw it was amazed at how something like that could have affected it so drastically. If you have already checked that, sorry for assuming you hadn't.

Something in the impeller or the wear ring is wiped out. Easy fix in the scheme of things. Use only an OEM and or Delrin wear ring. Most others just aren't built up to specs.

I though about it being an obstruction yesterday while in the water. I throttled the boat and did a few turns and it appeared to clear and return to correct speed, but reduced speed and then throttled up and had the same reaction (slowww). Will look under the boat to check today. Thanks jhryder.

I had a pull rope caught on the impeller a few days ago while tubing. Might have whipped something out like you mention Coastiejoe.
How can I know if this is the possible issue?

You are describing cavitation. Basicaly, you are boiling the water with low pressure (can't pump air) or there's something stuck.

SO... look in the pump.

1) Is the clearance high? (between the impeller and ring)

2) Is there a crack in the housing, and you are sucking air?

3) Did the nut on the driveshaft come lose, and you ripped the splines out of the impeller? (slipping on the shaft)

It doesn't take much. Last season, I sucked in a hunk of wood and kept me from going more than 5 mph. Normally... it will suck it in, and spit it out like a food processor... but when something gets stuck... you don't go.

375.jpg

I think I found the issue. A piece of rope i the impeller. (Not my rope) Hope that was the issue. Took some picts but did not see anything out of the ordiary IMG_1267.JPGIMG_1270.JPGIMG_1272.JPG

What's the clearance between your Wear ring and Impeller? I replaced my factory wear ring with a new stainless steel ring due to the same problems you mention, now it's much better. I had way to much clearance between impeller and wear ring.

I think I found the issue. A piece of rope i the impeller. (Not my rope) Hope that was the issue. Took some picts but did not see anything out of the ordiary

If there was rope in there, that was the issue. A test drive will tell you if there is additional damage, (such as a wear ring issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back