2004 Sportster le Stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardo76

Hello Fellow seadoo boaters, i just picked up my first seadoo boat. 2004 seadoo sportster le and i am wanting to install a stereo. I am looking for pointers on where to install the head unit, 2 (or maybe 4) - 6 1/2 speakers and a 10 inch subwoofer. Also, i havent purchased any of the equipment yet so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My guess is the subwoofer would be of free air design so no enclosure is needed. ALso been reading lots the sensitive electronics so adding a second battery was a solution, any recommendations on that would be great as well.

Anyways, I am open to all suggestions.
I reside in Ontario Canada.

Thanks all
Look forward to hitting the water!

First thing to do is set a budget. Start with a decent head unit, $150-200. Be sure to get one you can use to build onto the system later, you will want to. Then figure out what speakers you want. I think 4 would be best for your boat. Plus a sub or 2. Speakers can range a lot in price. I would budget 75-150 per pair. The amp is where you will spend big bucks. Stick to something class D. They are much more efficient. They will run cooler and put less of a drain on the charging system. For an amp expect to spend 250-400. A good 5 channel amp will run everything on the boat. Next is wiring, it can be almost as expensive as other parts and people forget that. All wiring and other miscellaneous stuff can easily cost $100 or more.

Whatever you do, stick to all marine rated equipment. I know you are in canada, but ebay usually has the best prices on most stuff.
I'd be glad to give you more tips. Give me a budget and ill gladly spend your money. :lol:

Hey thanks for the reply! I've been researching some equipment and I'm likin the kicker line of speaker. I don't mind spending 1000 bucks or so.
My main questions are we're to mount the receiver, speakers and sub.
Ill likely go 4 6.5's and a 10 inch sub. Now for the sub, where do I mount and are free air(infinite baffle) subs effective? Not much room for an enclosure. I used to be very big into car stereos when I was younger and always installed my own gear. battery and providing power without harmjng my engine electronics I am also lookig for advice. Seems adding a second batter with a battery switch box is the way to go.
Any advice u have would be great!
Thanks

First thing to do is set a budget. Start with a decent head unit, $150-200. Be sure to get one you can use to build onto the system later, you will want to. Then figure out what speakers you want. I think 4 would be best for your boat. Plus a sub or 2. Speakers can range a lot in price. I would budget 75-150 per pair. The amp is where you will spend big bucks. Stick to something class D. They are much more efficient. They will run cooler and put less of a drain on the charging system. For an amp expect to spend 250-400. A good 5 channel amp will run everything on the boat. Next is wiring, it can be almost as expensive as other parts and people forget that. All wiring and other miscellaneous stuff can easily cost $100 or more.

Whatever you do, stick to all marine rated equipment. I know you are in canada, but ebay usually has the best prices on most stuff.
I'd be glad to give you more tips. Give me a budget and ill gladly spend your money. :lol:

The boat in my profile pic is a 98 speedster. I had 4 kicker 6.5's in it and 2 kicker 10" subs. The kicker marine subs are also rated as free air, so without a box they sounded great. Just cut you a big hole and mount em right in the sides of the interior walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foster, how deep were your Kicker Subs? I'm debating if that will be a good location in my Challenger for the sub, or maybe under the port-side console? I think the Alpine 10" is similar depth. I'm hoping the Challenger 2000/X20 has similar space.

I think the KM10 is 5.25" deep and my Alpine is 5.69" deep. It will be interesting. I'm jacked for it though!

The kicker KM10 had a depth of 5 1/4" Ive seen a few people put em in the foot wells under the console....that just seems like a bad place to me. Lots of water collects there and people are clumsy with their feet.

The polk i went with this time are only 4 5/8. They fit just about anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back