2004 Islandia - No power after sucking up rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoarm

Hi all. New to this forum - so apologies if this is already posted somewhere, I could not find anything similar.

Anyway I sucked up a few rocks this past weekend. Boat immediately shut down and wouldn’t turn over. I was able to get all the rocks out and the boat started right up. However as soon as I give it throttle, it won’t move. It’ll rev up but won’t move at all.

Im thinking I either tore up the wear ring or damaged the impeller.

Anyone have any other ideas before I start pulling it apart?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all. New to this forum - so apologies if this is already posted somewhere, I could not find anything similar.

Anyway I sucked up a few rocks this past weekend. Boat immediately shut down and wouldn’t turn over. I was able to get all the rocks out and the boat started right up. However as soon as I give it throttle, it won’t move. It’ll rev up but won’t move at all.

Im thinking I either tore up the wear ring or damaged the impeller.

Anyone have any other ideas before I start pulling it apart?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the grate. Look up into the tunnel to see rhe carnage. You should see 2 flats on the shaft for a wrench. Remove the stator. You will need the special deep socket for the nut on the impeller. With a wrench on the shaft and your special socket, remove the nut. It is tight- 150 ft-# plus corrosion. Standard right hand thread. If you are lucky, the impeller will slide rearward off the shaft. DO NOT strike the end of the shaft. You may destroy your gearbox. Do not use an impact wrench. Same reason. Do not damage the stator end of the shaft. It is both bearing and seal surface.

Now is the time to remove the wear ring. Not until after the impeller nut is removed.
You will need a 7/8 (I think) crowfoot wrench to remove steering cable.

Drain the gear oil. Look for metal sparkle, chips, chunks. Beware- the drain holes are only 5/16 (8mm) diameter and might not allow chunks to drain. Good news- failure of the gears is rare.

Last edited:
Remove the grate. Look up into the tunnel to see rhe carnage. You should see 2 flats on the shaft for a wrench. Remove the stator. You will need the special deep socket for the nut on the impeller. With a wrench on the shaft and your special socket, remove the nut. It is tight- 150 ft-# plus corrosion. Standard right hand thread. If you are lucky, the impeller will slide rearward off the shaft. DO NOT strike the end of the shaft. You may destroy your gearbox. Do not use an impact wrench. Same reason. Do not damage the stator end of the shaft. It is both bearing and seal surface.

Now is the time to remove the wear ring. Not until after the impeller nut is removed.

Drain the gear oil. Look for metal sparkle, chips, chunks. Beware- the drain holes are only 5/16 (8mm) diameter and might not allow chunks to drain. Good news- failure of the gears is rare.
Awesome!! Thank you for the advice!

So I defiantly did a number and absolutely need a new wear ring. This is my impeller, it’s got a few dings, do you think I should replace that too? Also attached is the strator… it’s got some pretty good dings in it too? What do you think?image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 25

Hell sir. Can you please look at my new post (reply) and see what you think? Much appreciated!

Hell sir. Can you please look at my new post (reply) and see what you think? Much appreciated!

Well, there's your problem.
And we have not seen the wear ring yet.
You will need to become best friends with someone like Impros. And you will have to BOAT. They will need the wear ring, too.

2 more words: deeper water.

Well, there's your problem.
And we have not seen the wear ring yet.
You will need to become best friends with someone like Impros. And you will have to BOAT. They will need the wear ring, too.

2 more words: deeper water.
Thanks Tim! Yea the wear ring is trashed too. I just wasn’t sure about the the stator - i know it’s bad but was hoping I could get away with keeping it. Looks like it’s gonna be BOAT x2 at least!

and yea deeper water for sure! I’m a dumbass!

Thanks Tim! Yea the wear ring is trashed too. I just wasn’t sure about the the stator - i know it’s bad but was hoping I could get away with keeping it. Looks like it’s gonna be BOAT x2 at least!

and yea deeper water for sure! I’m a dumbass!

Don't throw anything away before Impros sees it.

They can do incredible things.... for BOAT x 2!

Don't throw anything away before Impros sees it.

They can do incredible things.... for BOAT x 2!
I appreciate you! I called Impros and talked to a super cool and nice guy named Glen. I am sending the parts over to them to see what they can do! THANKS again for recommending them, hopefully its gonna save me $$$

All is not lost.... your stator and impeller look better than these did.
IMPROS RULES.

Attachments

• IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3263.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 14
yes -- Last year -- during covid and during the California fires, that were right down the street from them.
They are the nicest people you will ever talk to, and the work speaks for itself.

roughly $1100 total... depends on how much work the stator needs.
I cannot tell you how pleased we are with the results.

yes -- Last year -- during covid and during the California fires, that were right down the street from them.
They are the nicest people you will ever talk to, and the work speaks for itself.

roughly $1100 total... depends on how much work the stator needs.
I cannot tell you how pleased we are with the results.
That’s so awesome to hear! They look great. I was worried I was gonna be out a few thousand to buy all new parts. I did talk with Glen at impros and he was super nice and super cool. I’m sending my stuff over to him.

That’s so awesome to hear! They look great. I was worried I was gonna be out a few thousand to buy all new parts. I did talk with Glen at impros and he was super nice and super cool. I’m sending my stuff over to him.

Have you changed the gear oil yet? Any chunks or chips? Glitter?

While your pump is apart, it would be a good idea to support the tail end of the shaft with small blocks of wood to take the strain off the bearings and seal.

Have you changed the gear oil yet? Any chunks or chips? Glitter?

While your pump is apart, it would be a good idea to support the tail end of the shaft with small blocks of wood to take the strain off the bearings and seal.
Yea I drained it. It looked good! Cross your fingers for me that once I get the parts back, all will work fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back