2004 Islandia - Can't turn right at high speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenK

I have a 2004 Islandia 240 EFI M2 Jet Drive. At high speeds the Islandia does not turn right, not even a little. It will turn left on a dime but right is a no go. I am guessing that the steering cable is corroded and needs to be replaced.
Before I go and order a new 167.00 dollar steering cable I thought I would run it past the forums to make sure I am on the right track. I studied the manual and looked at the connections and I think that is what it is. But maybe I am missing something and it could be the something else. Has anyone else had an issue like this and is it the steering cable that I need to replace. Also, should I replace anything else for the steering control while I am at it.
Thanks.

What I'm thinking is.... the outer shiv came off of the end of the cable, and its no longer supported. So... going to the right... the cable tries to "Push", and it just flexes.

OR.....

It came out out it's mount, and it pushes away from the pump.

I'd pull the boot away from the cable at the pump end, and look for damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
my steering is weird sometimes... at about %50 throttle by steering pulls to the left every once and a while but at wot theres never a problem... idk if it the wind pushing the boat causing a pulling of the boat one direction or the current i find it weird it comes and goes

Thanks Tony. Just to make sure I am understanding. I have attached a picture of the assembly I am going to pull and look at.
I am guessing the problem is under the bellows and the cable is corroded here. I am not sure what the outer shiv is, could you point me in the right direction on that?
At low speeds she does turn right, but when enough pressure is pushing against the jet at higher speeds, I am thinking the cable is flexing and then won't turn right. Does that sound about right to you?
Steering Assembly Near Jet.JPG

OK... the 2 probs I was talking about:

1) The nut, and the mount, just to the left of "a". Make sure it's not moving there.

2) Yes, under the boot. Just remove "a" and slide the boot toward the nozzle. You should see a metal tube. If you see cable, then the tube has moved, and is disconnected from the cable jacket. If you do see a metal tube... make sure it doesn't slide back and forth.

If all of that checks... then get under the helm, and check the cable at the steering box.

FYI... I had problem #2 with my reverse cable. There wasn't an issue with driving the boat... but when I went to work on the pump... I pushed the reverse bucket up... and the cable bent and kinked. I'm glad I found the problem... but I messed up the cable 3 days before leaving on vacation. Lucky for me... Terry (at Poppy covers) was selling off some Islandia parts, and I got her to overnight a cable to me.

Speaking of that... she may have a cable, and it will be less that getting it at your local dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I will check it out tonight if I have time otherwise tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. Hopefully it is a simple fix, otherwise if I have to get a cable I will follow up with you and Poppy Covers for a cheaper cable.

If you need a cable, send her an email, and let he know, that Dr Honda on the seadoo forum sent you. Poppy Covers doesn't normally sell parts... but I guess they acquired a shop that went out of Biz.

FYI: Your cable part number is 204390212. She may need the number.

Bingo! I removed the clamp and pulled the bellows back and only saw cable. I then pulled a little further and found the metal tube that should have been connected. I am assuming this metal piece is part of the entire steering cable and the whole cable needs to be replaced, correct? I also came to find out the bellows (part number 877581A 4) has a hole in it so it was letting water into the cable area and there was corrosion on the metal tube, explains why it broke away. So I will need to replace this as well. I will wait to hear back from you that it is the cable that needs to be replaced.
Also, once I get everything screwed back together, the shop manual calls for Perfect Seal 92-34227-1. Do I need this specific sealer or are there any substitutes that I can use?

Thanks.

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday... but I was VERY sick. (stomach bug)

Anyway... that "Tube" is what supports the cable so it pushes straight. If the cable isn't kinked, and the tube isn't damaged... you may be able to snap it back into the jacket. If it will snap with a positive engagement... you may also be able to squeeze the outer housing so it's a little tighter, and save the cable. (just don't crush it) It can't hurt to try.

Sorry to hear about the stomach bug, that sucks. The cable was starting to kink and had some wear on it and I couldn't get the tube to snap back. I talked to Terri at Poppi Covers and she said you took the last steering cable, doh. :) I ordered a new one from seadoowarehouse, it was pricey but I couldn't find a cheaper one anywhere else. Thanks for your help on troubleshooting my issue.

On a side note, my shipment of hydro turf came yesterday so I will be putting that on soon. I plan to post some before and after picks once I am done.

Just as an update, the new cable arrived a few weeks ago and I finally got around to installing it this weekend.
Installation is not that bad, took a few hours mostly because of navigating the wire out of the boat and fishing the new one in.
It fixed my issue an I can now turn right instead of making a 270 degree left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back