2004 4 Tec Sea-doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

nchbani

Hi guys, I need help! my engine was building a lot pressure and thru reading some of the posts, I was able to determine that it was due to the solenoid on the OTPS. There was a suggestion to just gut it out and there was a positive response to that post. I did the same since my Sea-doo is now 14 years old did not want to spend the $300.00 for a solenoid. The pressure problem went away and oil is no longer spewing from the valve cover. The issue now is the sea-doo although running it is not going fast almost; like it's in learner's mode. How do I resolve this issue. I saw the statement below in another thread but how do i do it. Thanks, Nassif
You can fool the system, by disconnecting the OTPS connector and manually grounding it."

Quite likely unrelated. TOPS will kill the motor if tripped, not slow it down. It's designed to block oil from leaving the motor into the hull as well as kill the motor, both to prevent damage if tipped over. When she's upside down it doesn't go into limp mode or slower mode :)

Thanks for the quick reply Greg! below is what i found in another thread. i can describes the behavior of my sea-doo low RPM.

OTPS Oil Tank Pressure Switch (or as it is call in the Service Manual OSPS Oil

Separator Pressure Switch).

On the 4-TEC engine, the OTPS (Oil Tank Pressure
Switch) is actually a crankcase pressure switch and is
located at the front of the engine on the oil/air separator
assembly. This switch is normally closed to ground, so in
normal operation the switch provides a ground to the ECU.
If the crankcase pressure exceeds approx. 4 psi, the switch
opens, the ECU loses the ground and activates fault code
P-1202

after 3 to 5 minutes of running, CHK ENG will
displayed on the Cluster and the engine will go into the
5000 RPM limp home mode.
The same thing will happen if the OTPS is bad!
The blow-by solenoid, located on the oil/air separator, has 2 blow-by valves attached to it.
When it is energized, the 2 blow-by valves lift to uncover ports and allow the crankcase to
vent. It energizes with an audible 'click' when the lanyard is installed on the DESS post. The
MPEM supplies the voltage, the ECU provides the and controls the ground. Initially, the blowby
solenoid is energized by approx. 7.5V. After a few seconds, the voltage drops to around
3V, enough to keep it energized.

If the ECU loses it’s ground from the OTPS, it
thinks that the blow-by solenoid is not
energized because there is crankcase
pressure. The ECU will then try to re-energize
the blow-by solenoid by controling the ground
to the blow-by solenoid to allow a cycling of
7.5V down to 3V, back up to 7.5V and so on
for 3 to 5 minutes. If after that time, the OTPS
does not provide a ground to the ECU, fault
code 1202 will activate and the engine will go
into the 5000 RPM limp home mode.
In order to measure the voltage as described
above, the 2 pin connector must be
connected to the blow-by soleniod, and
probed from the backside of it. If the
connector is probed from the front side of it
when it’s disconnected, battery voltage will be
read. The low voltage requires less amps and
allows the solenoid to run cooler.
So to recap, if the blow-by solenoid is not working, crankcase pressure builds, the OTPS will
open and the ECU will lose it’s ground. If after 3 to 5 minutes the ECU does not get it’s
ground back from the OTPS, Fault Code 1202 will be activated and the engine will go into the
5000 RPM limpo home mode.

The same thing will happen if there is a problem with the wiring, connectors, or the

OTPS itself that would cause the ECU to lose the ground from the OTPS circuit!

Thanks, Nassif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back