2003 XPdi- Testie B$(*#; A fist full of nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxToby

Well, I got past the power (battery) issue with my XPdi(e) that was causing my ski to go into limp mode- but now she acted up yesterday and left me as red as the ski with a random loss of power issue on the top end.

I put the ski in the water and it ran top speed for about 5 minutes to and get to an inlet to Taylor Lake (ClearLake, Texas). You have to creep through a long no-wake zone to get into Taylor Lake. Once through it I brought her back up to speed and was blowing and going strong until about 5 football fields the ski just started burping and slowed down to 20-30mph so I turned back to get back to the dock

Problem:
It felt like the plugs were fouling out on the top end but only when I grabbed a fist full of throttle. The maint light only blinked once then went off
I went back through the no-wake A-OK; no lack of performance idling.
The ski would run fine all the way up until 6,000 - 7,000 rpm (**NO lack of performance on the hole-shot) and then it would randomly lose power on the top end= ga-ga-gaa-gaa-gaa-ga. like it was short on air or burning crap off of the plugs? To try to rule out the plugs I ran the ski for 10-15 minutes at the smooth 5500 rpm. The weird thing was that after that time the ski was "back to normal" running like a raped ape. I rode for over an hour 1/2 but when I came in to put it on the trailer.... it started doing the same thing again on the top end! (but not as bad as before).

I am worried that I am going to be on the lake... in BFE and get stuck somewhere or just plain RUIN the trip! I need to figure out what's up so I can fix the problem.

One footnote: I have no idea if this is a contributing factor but in my haste to ride a full day I over-filled the ski up until the gas was all the way to the top (damn near over flowing)... could this have been an issue?

Running.....

Well, it's cool to hear your running again!....If you don't have any codes and the maintenance light just blinked, then your probably gonna be o.k...
I think here, with what you've said, the problem is on top end. I don't know if you checked your plugs as this happened on top end. If not, you can do the test I'm about to talk about, or go back on the lake to test. Have a set of spare plugs......on the lake, if it happens, stop, take them out right away and check them.
I think you may be experiencing problems in the fuel rail or compressor pressure regulator. If my memory serves me right, that pressure is regulated around 107 psi. There are several test for checking this. If you do the pressure test and don't have that gage, you may be able to "McGyver" a way to do it at your local auto parts store.
I just realized that you are a premium member. How about go to your manual and look up and read the information on your DI fuel injection system. Then, if you have any questions in trying to understand it, let me know. If possible, get the pressure gage to check those pressures to make sure your regulater is working properly.
And on the last note. Your compresser is also the air supply to your RAVE system. If there is a problem in your compressor pressure, your RAVE slowly closing down on you will also take away from top end rpm. Check all the lines for any loose fittings. I don't think it's serious or your engine management system would get involved.
Let me know what you find out!.........................:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back