2003 Supercharger Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvideon

I have a 2003 GTX Limited with ~150 hours on it. I am not having a problem, but having read all the problems with the superchargers, I decided to look at mine. I took the inlet hose off and found a small amount of engine oil in the hose and inlet. I measured the slip moment of the clutch at ~5 ft-lbs which is right in the middle of the range. I removed the SC and the one part in the clutch I can measure without taking it apart is the locking ring and it is at 6.99mm or right in the middle of the "new" range. There is noticable wear on the gear teeth, but the unit spins freely without much slop. The ski is not used at WOT much and probably has not unlocked going over waves more than 20 times during its whole life. So the question is, does the SC just need a new oil seal or does it need to be rebuilt?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the ceramic washers have not been replaced then you need a total rebuild.

In your case, you are over the recommended hours but the bigger issue is the ceramic washers.

The simple fact that ithe ski is politely riden is likely the only reason the washers have not failed.

If they are ceramic and they do fail you will be doing engine repair or rebuilding.

Based on your measurements you are in specs. But,,,, if you need the washers you might as well do it all as you must open it anyways.

Yep, that helped.

:thumbsup: awesome..!!!

Looks like the 03 had no washers,,,

Looks like im a lucky guy... I got a 2003 Seadoo GTX 185hp as my first PWC... Run like a champ...!!! I will keep it as much as i can... And more now than ever...

Thinking to replace the wear ring and impeller at the end of the season following a couple of nice instructional/very well graphic youtube videos...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ecHS-HG-eQpel1r-DZnuw

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just the washers that need attention...it's the bearings.

A lil oil inside the sc's air intake is prolly from the blow-by hose emptying into the oem air intake...perfectly normal. And, in salt water areas.....desirable.

It's not just the washers that need attention...it's the bearings.

A lil oil inside the sc's air intake is prolly from the blow-by hose emptying into the oem air intake...perfectly normal. And, in salt water areas.....desirable.

I did not see a way tell in the shop manual if the bearings needed replacing. They seem very smooth. I have seen statements that say if there is any oil in the inlet is an indication of a bad seal in SC. I don't like messing with things that don't need messing with, but I also don't want a small problem to turn into a bigger problem. I have to say that a design that only last 100-200 hours seems, well, poor. I can see that clutches can go bad if they are abused, but not the bearings. I know they are turning high speeds, but still they are not under a tremndous amount of strain like the jet pump, crank shaft, pistons, etc.

I did not see a way tell in the shop manual if the bearings needed replacing. They seem very smooth. I have seen statements that say if there is any oil in the inlet is an indication of a bad seal in SC. I don't like messing with things that don't need messing with, but I also don't want a small problem to turn into a bigger problem. I have to say that a design that only last 100-200 hours seems, well, poor. I can see that clutches can go bad if they are abused, but not the bearings. I know they are turning high speeds, but still they are not under a tremndous amount of strain like the jet pump, crank shaft, pistons, etc.

I guess I shoulda been more specific.

It's not the bearings that go...it's the cages that hold the bearings that go....brittle...with time.

The washers ect in the sc are considered wear items. Ceramics were a design choice that didn't pan out like the engineers intended...I'm sure. BRP haven't and won't admit fault....but the change in materials from '08+ says enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back