2003 Seadoo GTX-DI running problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fullthrottle8

I have a 2003 Seadoo GTX-DI and it has been running rough...at 3000-3500 rpm it starts to sputter. Maintenance light flicks on, but stops once you drop back to 3000 rpm. Cleaned the rav values,changed plug, and cleaned the fuel injectors, and it still does the same thing. Reaches top speed of 30mph and does not seem to be running correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem or know how to fix it.

Thanks.

Could be the rectifier / regulator

I have an XPdi which has the same problem. It goes in to limp home mode as soon as add throttle above 3k but only after a day of riding!. Pain in the bum! Bought a new rectifier and gonna test it out tomorrow. I have high hopes!

If you do a search on this forum for rectifier problems I bet you will find your symptoms. Di jetskis apparently go through rectifiers like they are going out of fashion. Good luck!

justy_123 have you ever replaced a rectifier, and how many times? I have bought my 2003 in 2003 and havent replaced a rectifier?? I mostly clean the RAV values once a year. I did it at the earlier this year, but redid it when the problem occured. But when I cleaned the RAV after the running problem, they were extremely bad. I never seen them that bad. So i don't know if there could be a problem with the RAV values, but ill have to look into the rectifer.

I am having the same problem on two of my machines, both '01 GTX DIs

Where is the rectifier, and how do I replace it?

In my limited knowledge But I have been maintaining and reading this forum frequentley, just to keep my DI running The most common problems on them are the rectifier/charging system or the fuel pump /pump pressure. There are a lot of fuel pump failure posts on here as well. My manual says with key on U should have 27 psi +/- 2 With engine running107 psi +/- 2. I have had no problem with my fuel system yet. But have had to replace 2 rectifiers.

Hank

Well my jetski is fixed! :cheers:

It was the rectifier! Rode it non stop for 2 days and it didn't miss a beat! Not one MAINT light or beep. Very happy. So I would recommend any di owners with limp home issues to replace the rectifier first!

This is the first rectifier I have had to replace, however, I have only had the ski for a year.

Goodluck

Dealer

So I took my ski to the dealer and got back my 2003 GTX DI 951 cc today.
The dealer said the crank sensor is limiting the engine from going over 3500rpm.
The dealer thinks the crank bearings are shot and wants about $2000 to fix it. When you shut the unit down, you can hear the bearing settling into their cage.
Any suggestions on replacing the bearings and possibly the crankshaft?
Any tricks after pulling the motor?
Any sources to buy a rebuilt engine and drop it in?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks!

Wow.

I would seriously be very very very certain that there is a vibration issue with your engine before you pull the engine out! If I was my ski I would check everything that it could be first. Sensors, rectifier, fuel pump etc

How certain is the dealer that this is your problem? Did he hook it up to the BUDS? If so what code did it throw?

If it is the crank sensor throwing a code I would try a new or different crank sensor.

But seriously check everything simple out first. But first you need to know what code is being thrown by the computer and go from there.

Good luck.

The dealer said the Crank sensor was sending a code to limit the RPM.
I suggested a bad sensor to the dealer but he said based on the noice from the lower engine he would guess it is a bad bearing.When you shut the unit down you can definetly hear what sounds like bearings coming to a stop for two or three secounds. It is not loud or ear shattering, you have to listen for it, but it kind of sounds like marbles rolling in a glass jar. I have an idential unit and it does not make this sound.
Whe the ski is running there does not appear to be any excessive vibration or strange noices from the engine.
I am thinking of replacing the sensor, or pulling out the sensor fron my other ski first. Is it hard to get too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back