2003 gtx with 4-tec 185 hp engine runs slugish

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsamie1

I tried to ride my 2003 gtx with 4-tec 185 hp engine today after a month. First took it to gas station and filled it up with 93 octane gas. It started fine and ran good thru 100 yard no wake zone. When I opened throttle it was good for 10 seconds and all the sudden rpm dropped, lack of power, hunting while idling and then dying. start it back up with difficulty, idle rough and die again after 5 seconds. Could it be bad gas? any help is appreciated.

dont think its bad gas, but fuel system related, but do compression test, then check the filters, did you try switch'n the fuel selector to res.?

are you getting any error codes up in the dash? and why 93 oct gas? I have the same ski and have always used 87 oct without any issues...I would pull the plugs and take a look there first..is this the first time you have had the ski out this season?

thanks guys, I do not know if I have a reserve tank switch. have not seen one. there is no engine light on or beeping alarm. took a plug out seems clean and dry.

Your seadoo is made to run on 87 octane fuel. Anything higher is being wasted out the exhaust unless your engine was modified in some form. I would just change the Spark Plugs. Chances are it is just a fouled plug.
Keep us posted.

Karl

thanks

thanks guys, you are great. I changed plugs and it runs good in my driveway. I think I should not run it with hose attached too long because it seems it does not run hot and fouls up the plugs.

The 4-tec has inter looping cooling, and the hose only purges the exhaust system. The cooling is in the ride plate that only cools in the water, not on the hose.

Karl

Your seadoo is made to run on 87 octane fuel. Anything higher is being wasted out the exhaust unless your engine was modified in some form. I would just change the Spark Plugs. Chances are it is just a fouled plug.

Wait.. an '03 GTX supercharged (185hp) just needs 87 octane fuel??

And I can't find anywhere what the gap should be on the spark plugs (do they need to be gapped?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back