2003 GTX limited display/mode button problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

iow

Hi would like to say thank you for letting me join the forum I am from the Isle Of Wight UK I am sorry to say first post is a problem.

I am new to this Ski it is a 2003 GTX limited 215 with 112 hour's. I brought the ski few months back now it has never been in salt water till now and had been laid up for 18 months .

I got back with the ski first thing I did was take it to my local dealer for a service check over and new steering cable new pump bearings and seals it has had the washers done and charger rebuilt .

The problem I have is the mode button does not work when the engine is running stop the engine and it runs fine start it and it stops I loose all on the display except the compass and the red light is flashing.

When i got it back from dealer first time he said there are no fault codes and it would be OK to use for now. First time I took it out it went into limp mode after first time of using throttle in other words you could punch it and go but after you stopped it would go into limp mode.

I took it back they said that there was a plug that was broken they replaced it but it still had the problem Mode button would not work with engine running and red light. he said it would be OK.

Took it out Yesterday and as he said it run OK still had the mode button fault no fault codes but run fine . We cleared the harbor went about 5 miles up the coast and the ski went into limp mode after starting it and stopping it a few times it would start to go as it should 5k rpm then go into limp mode and display oil on the display.
Still no fault codes
I checked the oil before we went out and when we got back 5 miles on limp mode was no fun it is full as you would expect after having a full service . The engine sounds sweet no rattles or bangs knocks and it seemed to go well when it was running .
I have now spent over £800 at my local dealer only dealer we have on the island and can not use the ski .
Some one please help
yes i did think about sinking it setting light to it and all them ideas .
Thank's Gordon

Electrical issues are a real pain to isolate. I'd take it back to the deal on their time until they actually
fix what you paid for. On a diff note, I didn't realize a 215 model came in a 2003? Thought they were only 185. Wouldn't make a diff to your issue but was curious.

The dealer want's to start replacing ECU's and stuff £££££
I don't get it as the mode button works when the engine is not running all the displays come up and work ? There are no fault codes when you push the button 5 times it just say's end
It did run OK all be it about 5 miles .
Was a long slow trip back on limp mode against the tide and wind
i brought it as a 215 the dealer said it was as well ? seems a bit of confusion over it's age told it is 2003 but it was brought from new 2006 ?

Fault codes would still be saved in the memory, even if saying "occurred". The dealer should certainly know if ANYTHING occurred whether "active" or not.. regarding the 215, what are the last two digits of your VIN (or HIN) number? That will tell you the year of your machine. I'm pretty positive no 215's were available in 2003.

As I say electrical issues are a pain. Could be as simple as a small pin slightly bent at the connection or even small corrosion on that pin. I know 2002's have issue with display gauges not being waterproof so maybe it was carried over to the 2003 models...

No there is nothing on the fault codes at all
They replaced a plug outer casing as a locking clip had bust but he said there was no corrosion on any of the pins . but saying that it went from going on limp mode after first push of the throttle to running as it should apart from mode button then going into limp mode all the time now. Even when I got it home and flushed it out it was going into limp mode .
I spoke to the dealer he has offered to have the ski in if he get's another one in to swap over ECU's to see for sure if it is the ECU that has gone .
Meanwhile it is just sat there can't use it . The mode button is doing the same thing works with out the engine running but soon as you start it the button stops working and you loose the display .
Also have noted playing today if you spin the speedo wheel with out the engine running the speedo works but does not with the engine running ? Don't make sense how can the engine stop it all from working ?
The engine it's self sounds sweet nothing wrong when it was reving it got up there fast . As for the 185/215 I just had a look google depending on web site if they did one or not ?? The dealer and seller seem to think it's a 215 it does have a intercooler this seems to be one of the bit's different but a lot of other parts seem to be shared between the 2 models . It's a limited model they say they where red and black this one is silver and blue ?
All i know is it would make a good anchor block at the mo i would be happy with 100hp lol

There is no 215hp in 2003. 2004 was the first year for the 215hp. In 03, the GTX limited was all gold, the GTX was yellow/black or red/black and all were 185. In 2004, the GTX ltd was silver/blue and was 215hp which sounds like what you have. Make sure your title and HIN match and say 04 as the last two digits.

So, if it's going into limp mode, it should be storing a code. Is the dealer an actual seadoo dealer? Do they have BUDS software? or even CanDoo? When you go into limp mode, you have to press set 5 times WHILE it is happening. As soon as you shut the engine off or take the key off, it will no longer be present as a current fault and will not show up unless you use software to read past faults.

I've seen something similar to the issue you are describing a couple of times. One time it was the wiring harness, the other time it was the ECU failing. However, I suspect your dealer doesn't really know what they are doing.

Sod's law just run it up on the hose it would not go into limp mode but the mode button still did not work with engine running .
But I did get a fault code up PO600 also when it is warm P1607 and flashes oil This is when it seems to go into limp mode . The red light flashes all the time . i have just been able to do this on the trailer so more controlled .and can see what is going on

My dealer is a Seadoo dealer the only one on the Isle Of Wight BMS of Bembridge
The ski is Blue and silver last digit's are 04 it does not come up as stolen in fact the dealer has put the ski in my name for dealer records gordon endler

Last edited by a moderator:
i have got a chance of buying a second hand MPEM do you think this would sort the problems ?

Hi I have put the new MPEM in and I am getting the same fault's then when the ski warms up it goes into limp mode with the display saying oil .
The dealer say's this is a generated fault not a true fault ? the code is still that same
Any idea's on what I should look at next ?

What code number is generated? If it's P1607, it's a problem with the ECU, not the mpem. The mpem is a power distribution center and does some other minor functions but the engine management is purely the ECU.

Your dealer has no clue what they are talking about.

The main code it is putting up is 0600 the red light is flashing all the time .
It only goes into limp mode when it get's warm then comes up with oil on the display .

According to the code reference on this site, the 600 code is a communication error. Double check the plugs at both ends. Oil codes are 0520 and 1202. These will cause the limp mode as well.

I suggest borrowing an ECU from a working ski. I think that is your problem or it is a bad connection in your wiring harness. You could try a reflash but not sure that will fix it.

problem living on an island one dealer not many ski's like mine they push the Spark over here .
i am not getting any oil fault codes at all just this P0600 i had all the plugs off today again cleaned them with cleaner duck oiled them put them back together same thing .
The thing that is getting me is how everything works just fine with the engine not running .
As soon as you start the engine the mode button stops working and red light is flashing stop it you get P0600 90% of the time then after running the engine for about 5 mins from cold you get oil come up on the display and it goes into limp mode yet no oil fault code .
There is a dealer in pool 20 miles by sea so close yet so far if it goes into limp mode on the way over or it means £150 ferry and tow it over there
I am at a total loss as to what to do next try buy a ECU ? I just brought the over unit £315 where do you call it a day ?
I have just been in touch with the dealer in Pool and local dealer they don't have ECU to try on it ?????

It sounds like there is a ground after startup but that still doesn't narrow down the source. Maybe you could take a chance on an eBay purchase of an ecu. If you still have the same results with the "new" one, resell it on eBay. You might only lose the shipping costs that way. If it fixes it, heck you had to have it anyway and you could be riding again. Wish you had more options. I'd be tempted to make up my own cord to verify the harness isn't the culprit but that might be much harder from your island with the lack of parts support.

Just looked on eBay, man those things are high, $449 US used.

Hi
Thank's for reply it is hard as for that year has a different ECU so hard to find one
Also us buying anything from the USA is a killer we get hit up for import duty . I got a part for my bike seller marked down the price for me the duty was more than the part when I picked it up ???? They don't like us buying from your side the pond .
Like you say it is a hard one to work out as everything works fine till you start the engine . This oil that comes up on the display when it get's warm after about 5 min's and put's it into limp mode is just a false reading as the dealer says there is nothing wrong with the engine at all has good oil PSI and has just been serviced by them
As it stands now I can not use the ski till I find a ECU or find the problem so it is just sat there

I have a 2003 GTX and I had a limp mode issue last summer and it displayed oil but didn't store a code. I replaced BOTH oil pressure sensors. There are two; the oil pressure sensor and the oil tank pressure sensor. Just google your machine to get the part numbers, I am sorry but I don't have them off hand right now but they will be about 15-40$ for the set. This SOLVED my issue and the ski is tip top again!

Took the ski to Jet Ski Hub in Poole yesterday £85 ferry 6am start But the guy know's what he is talking about and know's what he is doing .
Lifted my front hood replaced a plug right away took bulk head out said right away Reg was after market there is the Mode Button problem swapped it out for a Sea Doo one Mode button works fine .
water test still had oil and limp mode took it back to work shop changed plug on oil sensor and replaced both sensors ski fixed took him 3 hour's including 2 water test's
it will be going back there for any work from now on .

Great news! I don't know what it is but those sensors are crap. I've replaced mine on both my 2002 and 2004. It seems once replaced you're OK....

Think the sensors where OK but the one at the rear of the engine the plug was green he put a new plug on I told him to change the sensors as they must have been naff as well .
better be safe than sorry can not get off and walk .
But as for local dealer this all should have been found he had it weeks and 3 times it was into him .
Still I learnt a lot about the ski while I was down there so will do most of the work my self now I am into bikes all my work is with bikes used to do car's but never touched a 4 stroke ski . Once you get all the shit out the way simple to work on have all the tools here in the workshop .
All I need now is the weather nice day Sat now the temps have dropped back down and rain .

Good to hear. I was going to verify my sensor was bad but looking at the down time vs. the cost, I'll be ordering one asap.

well the ski went in 2 times
First time when I brought it was for service new steering cable and a check over as I just got it they put new pump bearings in as just a bit notchy not bad but I wanted it right . They knew about other faults when I picked it up they said it would be OK to use .
second time was because when i took it out just for a short test run went into limp mode they replaced a plug as a clip had snapped off
In total just over £800 and was in for over 4 weeks got the ski back with working steering oil changed other than that same as it went in . I had to free off adjustable steering when got it back
Jet Ski Hub Poole had the ski 3 hour's 1 guy there replaced 4 plugs 2 oil sensors and the gen regulator checked it over 2 water test's £ 400 with ferry fare taking it down and parts . Fixed and had coffee he also showed me around the engine what's what as I am X motor trade and have workshop could not be more helpful . I know where it is going in future if it needs work
The regulator that was on it was after market and fitted upside down this is what was causing my mode button problems it was working charging the batt but messed up the cam bus line with signals .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back