2003 gtx 4-tec

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMan565

Sup all. I bought a 2003 GTX 4-Tec from a buddy a few weeks back. I've been working on it the past few weekend doing general maintenance.

This past weekend I changed the oil using the recommended oil and put in a new oil filter also. I purchased an extra o-ring from the dealer but the old one did not break and looks fine. After putting the cap and hex bolt back on, I seem to have a leak out of the top of the oil cap. I think we may have pulled the hex bolt through which might have broken off a tab, but no matter what Ive tried, I can't get it to stop.

A new Oil filter cover (420610322) goes for about $26 on the Internet, but I just wanted to reach out to the community before I start buying anymore parts to see what I might have jacked up. Who thought an oil change could be such a PITA?!?!

Thanks in advance.

Hey man. Congrats on the new Seadoo. You'll love the GTX 4-tec. I do not own one but I was looking at your parts diagram. If that's where it is leaking from and you think that's the part that got broke, the price to replace it isn't too bad.

We have some good 4-tec mechanics in here, we'll see what they think too though.

hmmmmm?

I've looked at the drawing on this and there is not enough information for me to get a good idea of how it's together.

From experience, other applications where I've had a bolt to hold down my oil cover (old motorcycle), there was an "0" ring type seal inside the middle of that cap and when I did as you say, I pulled the "0" ring out.

If you continue to have the problem, before replacing the cap, see if you can thread that bolt out and take a look at the seal.

Kustom Karl has twin 4 TEC's.....maybe he's got a better answer.:cheers:

Here's what you need to do ...replace the small "O" ring under the cover by the bolt.
1)420320920-$7.25
2)420850500-$8.99
3)420950860-$2.20

Oil filter /I use a K&N off their website, or go to our "parts" link
1)KN556-$12.95

Oil 10w40 Mineral Oil from seadoo#219700346-$6.50 a qt.
Be sure you use 10w40, marine 4 stroke Oil, with a API of SL, SJ or SN.
You need 3 L or 2.7 us quarts with filter for oil change.

Oil extractor from West Marine. Company Tempo, Part# 170200 Model# OB5 Retails about $50.00.
Change the oil when it is warm. Rev the engine to 4,000 rpm for 10 sec. and shut off at this rpm. This moves all the oil from the pto housing to the oil tank for maximum draining. Remove the oil filler cap and the dipstick. Insert the extractor tube in the dipstick 18.7 inches from the top of the dipstick pipe. Wrap tape around the tube to be sure it is in that deep. Next, extract the oil from the dipstick. (on pwc models only, the next step applies)When no more oil is extracted, pull the tube out of the dipstick hole and crank the engine(do not start) while the engine is in drown mode(fully depress the throttle lever, or on Jet Boats grab the throttle cable linkage at the throttle body and HOLD it open than crank the engine, get a friend to help)
Crank the engine for 10 seconds, Extract oil again, repeat crank extract 2-3 more times.
Keep track of how much oil you extract and add what you removed.

You will need a E-10 star socket or a 8mm,(6pt) socket to remove the oil filter cap. There are 3 "O" rings in the filter cap area if they are damaged change them. Check level, and go have fun. I hope this info helps.

Do you have a seadoo shop manual? If not here’s an idea for you. You could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and private use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too. Premium members get priority when it comes to getting quick detailed answers.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back