2002 RXDI Engine Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BAD250R

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could help out a newbie to the sport. I have raced dirtbikes since I was 5, but I decided to get into PWCs last month. Two weeks ago I bought a 2002 RXDI in excellent shape. I went to Advanced Auto to get some replacement spark plugs, and the clerk said the E3 brand was a good choice. I installed them and took the ski out the next day. After about one hour of riding, it died. I pulled the plugs out and I realized that even though both plugs had the same model number stamped on them, one plug was about 2mm longer than the other. I took the ski to the mechanic and he said I have one cylinder pushing only 20psi. Now I need a complete engine rebuild. Have you guys heard of anything like this? My mechanic said he'll do an entire rebuild with a 1 year warrany for $2,000. Is this high? Im pretty good working on my dirtbikes 2-stroke, but this PWC engine with direct injection and EFI is beyond my knowledge. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Question?

First, I'd question why the auto parts dealer sold you a plug that was incompatible with your model seadoo. If the plug was 2 mm longer, then you likely put a hole in the top of your piston. This doesn't seem to be your fault, but the fault of a company. If you asked for that specific plug, then it was your responsibility if he crossed referenced your plug number and gave you a set that was OEM/aftermarket plugs, then you shouldnt have a problem. The only real way to know is to take out that plug and bring the piston to the top of the motor. Take a flashlight and shine into the spark plug hole. If you see a crack or obvious damage to your cylinder head that was caused by this plug striking the cylinder, then I'd be talking to someone about paying for the repairs to my PWC.
Oh, and the price the mechanic gave you for the rebuild is a fair one. If your somewhat mechanically inclined, the you might go to a website that sells rebuilt and guaranteed engines and check the cost of just replacing it yourself. You might save a couple hundred bucks.
But I'd still see what caused the damage to that cylinder and hold someone liable if it was indeed caused by that spark plug that was too long.

I found a company near my house that will completely rebuild my engine (fresh bore, crank, pistons, and everything installed with a 1 year warranty) for $899. Would my RXDI engine be easy enough to take out and reinstall myself? Worse comes to worse my cousin is a certifed BMW mechanic, so Im sure he could figure it out. This sounds like the best way to go to me. Whats your opinion? Also, would it be a good idea to just go ahead and replace the oil pump as preventative maintanance? About how many hours should it take to pull my engine out? Thanks again.

What a deal?

The price for the rebuild is unbelievable!......Thats so dirt cheap, I wonder how he's making any money on it? Just the crankshaft and connecting rods alone are about $475.......if you replace the engine yourself with a rebuilt engine from one of the online dealers, your looking at $1500 for the 951cc DI model.
Wow, If he's for real on the price of a rebuild and if you trust him to do a good job, then I'd let him do it. And yes, I'd replace the oil pump. That's usually standard practice. You can buy a rebuild kit for your oil pump, which is just as good. There a fairly simple mechanical device, not to hard to do yourself.
Engine removal? If you have some basic skills in mechanics, then it shouldn't be that hard to do. The primary thing is to have what you need set up so that you can get it done. If everything comes off without anything to bog you down, like froze or corroded bolts, then you can have it removed in under 6 hours. And that's based on taking your time and going slow. Just have to have a good tree to help sling the engine out. Once down to the bare bones of the block, it's not really that heavy, but it's really awkard, cramped space to work with.

I finally got the RXDI rebuilt. I got the top and bottom end rebuilt and a new oil pump for $1,600 with a 1 year warranty. I took it out today to start the break-in...it ran awesome. The mechanic said to run it at 4500-5000 rpm for two tanks. That is going to take a while considering this thing is pretty fuel efficient. I got on the water at 10am this morning, got off at 2:30pm and I still have 1/4 tank. Is 4500-5000 rpm where i should be breaking it in? I heard somewhere with two-strokes you should run them hard when breaking in? Thanks.

I would do what the mechanic told you to do about the break-in. If you do have a problem you won't have to lie and try to remember what he said for one thing, and the other thing is you want to abide by his break-in procedure to maintain the warranty. It won't be like eating worms... just go have fun, and watch your RPM's for the 2 tanks. Good luck with the new engine.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back