2002 GTX 4 TEC won't reach max speed and RPMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsandwich

Hello, I recently bought a 2002 Sea Doo GTX 4 Tec and the instrument cluster is dead and I'm sending it in for repair. The issue, however, is that the ski won't reach max speed, it will only go 40mph and it should go 55-60mph. The tach isn't in and working but it sounds like speed is matching RPMs, so not like weeds or anything. It's got fresh gas, fresh oil, put in new spark plugs, and checked the compression. I can't figure out what the heck is causing this, and it's driving me nuts (and of course I'm using the regular key not the learning key)

Thanks in advance! This is my first 4 stroke ski.

UPDATE: tried it out again yesterday and got it up to 45 mph, but still seemed to be slow to take off and get on plane. Rode for about 15 min and then the overheat alarm went off and shut off the ski immediately. I could feel the engine bay hot through the seat. I'm just going to take it to a dealer to diagnose before I mess it up further. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:
Should be fine. Seller said they were recently replaced and also seller said that the ski reached max speed before delivering the ski to me. (it's somone I know and trust)

Should be fine. Seller said they were recently replaced and also seller said that the ski reached max speed before delivering the ski to me. (it's somone I know and trust)
P. S. It does one long beep when putting key on and one long beep when starting. Someone told me that was due to the missing instrument cluster. I wish I had a damn working instrument cluster because maybe it would give me a clue as to what is going on.

Sandwich is correct,,that long beep means the computer is not recognizing the cluster,,,but..i don't think that should prevent it from reving,,,sounds like it is in limp mode for some reason.

Hello, I recently bought a 2002 Sea Doo GTX 4 Tec and the instrument cluster is dead and I'm sending it in for repair. The issue, however, is that the ski won't reach max speed, it will only go 40mph and it should go 55-60mph. The tach isn't in and working but it sounds like speed is matching RPMs, so not like weeds or anything. It's got fresh gas, fresh oil, put in new spark plugs, and checked the compression. I can't figure out what the heck is causing this, and it's driving me nuts (and of course I'm using the regular key not the learning key)

Thanks in advance! This is my first 4 stroke ski.
UPDATE: tried it out again yesterday and got it up to 45 mph, but still seemed to be slow to take off and get on plane. Rode for about 15 min and then the overheat alarm went off and shut off the ski immediately. I could feel the engine bay hot through the seat. I'm just going to take it to a dealer to diagnose before I mess it up further. Thanks for the help everyone!

Hey!

Does your '02 have the super charger? (If it does, you could be getting full compression in the cylinders, but not be getting the boost necessary to hit top speed/RPMs). Depending on the hours, you could need a new one.

I have an '07 RXT and thought I had a super charger problem or impeller/wear ring problem, when it turns out, I was checking the electrical connections and found on of the ground wires had corroded/broken off at some point while riding. My bad ground wire caused the loud beep at startup (like you described) and would put my ski into a quasi limp mode, if not out right cut the engine randomly on me. Shared a lot of the same symptoms you described. I think with your model there should be 3 ground wires on the front of the block, and then 2 more on the front left side of the engine block (when sitting forward). After I scrubbed all the connectors with baking soda and water, and replaced the bad female terminal with a new one, the beep and limp mode went away! (In my case, my cluster went bad and my TPS sensor was 'bad' [TPS was fine, but bad connector made it think it was bad]). My bad wire was the top one on the front left side of the block.

As for the overheating... shop might have to get you some codes for that one. You can have good compression, but a pump cavitation problem could cause overheating. Dumb question, but is the anti freeze in the reservoir up to the min line at start, and was it exceeding the max line when you had the overheat alarm?

Hey!

Does your '02 have the super charger? (If it does, you could be getting full compression in the cylinders, but not be getting the boost necessary to hit top speed/RPMs). Depending on the hours, you could need a new one.

I have an '07 RXT and thought I had a super charger problem or impeller/wear ring problem, when it turns out, I was checking the electrical connections and found on of the ground wires had corroded/broken off at some point while riding. My bad ground wire caused the loud beep at startup (like you described) and would put my ski into a quasi limp mode, if not out right cut the engine randomly on me. Shared a lot of the same symptoms you described. I think with your model there should be 3 ground wires on the front of the block, and then 2 more on the front left side of the engine block (when sitting forward). After I scrubbed all the connectors with baking soda and water, and replaced the bad female terminal with a new one, the beep and limp mode went away! (In my case, my cluster went bad and my TPS sensor was 'bad' [TPS was fine, but bad connector made it think it was bad]). My bad wire was the top one on the front left side of the block.

As for the overheating... shop might have to get you some codes for that one. You can have good compression, but a pump cavitation problem could cause overheating. Dumb question, but is the anti freeze in the reservoir up to the min line at start, and was it exceeding the max line when you had the overheat alarm?
No supercharger. And unfortunately I wasn't able to check the coolant level when it overheated. Hopefully the shop will have some answers. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back