2002 GTX 4 tec clicking but no turn over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingadaddy

Put it up last year and all was well. Just now getting to where I can get it out for our family. Its been one he!@#$ of a year 4 us let me tell you. I put a charged battery in it and get the usual double beep when installing the key. Checked the voltage when hitting the starter. It stays up but all that happens is clicking. I may njump in another battery just to be sure. Push start button and "click" "click" "click" is all that happens as long as you keep on the start button. :confused: But if you let off, the double beep is doing its thing. I may try turning it over by hand but I wouldn't think it would be locked up. Popped off a few connectors and all is dry. We have had real good luck with our Doos. I am going to use SEARCH on here to find clues but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Randy

I need to check the battery again or jump another known good one in it. My digital meter updates real slow so when I was hitting the start button it may have been dropping out under load. Any other suggestions would sure be appreciated. As long as you hold the start button, it keeps clicking. I suspect the clicking is the solenoid pulling in, the battery gives up and the solenoid drops back out. The battery recovers and the process repeats. Sound possible?

I woul get the battery Load tested at like Auto Zone for free.It is possible that the battery has a bad cell or 2 and won't have the amps to turn the starter. It also could be a bad ground that won't allow the total amps to pass to the starter. Check the ground on the battery and the engine.

Keep us posted.

Karl

Thanks KustomKarl

I saw some corrosion on the block where the ground wire connects to it. Is the starter and solenoid very difficult to locate/access on these?

Got it. Battery was "JUST KIDDING". Shows 12.8 volts no load and droops out when start is requested. Jumped a hot battery in and it lit right off.

Shouldn't these batteries last longer than 6 years?!?!?!? :rolleyes:
OF course I'm kidding but it is the original battery! (I trickle charge in off season). The 2000 GTX we have is also on its original battery and it started right up.:)

The way the GTX4tec was clicking I thought it might be a SIGNALING sign for some fault. But it was just the battery.
Thanks KustomKarl:cheers:

ANy suggestions on where to get batteries other than a dealer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go to Auto Zone and get a Duralast brand (I think)...or Walmarts if you want to replace it every year. I have had very good luck with Auto Zone in my boats and watercraft. I sell batteries, and I can't compete with the volume of these big chain stores. The batteries I sell, are for wheelchairs...they don't sell them.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back