2002 GTX 4-stroke Coolant Overflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewmd

My GTX has been overheating after a few minutes of use. When I check the coolant container is overflowing with a thick brown liquid (After I just filled with fresh coolant). Anyone know what could be causing this? Leak? Any thoughts appreciated.

I would drain and flush the system. The proceedure is a bit detailed.
Do you have a seadoo shop manual? If not here’s an idea for you. You could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and private use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too. Premium members get priority when it comes to getting quick detailed answers.

Karl

I would start with what Karl suggested.

Quick question, is the water you are running in "brown" and is the liquid in the coolant bottle uniform, or does it act like there is both water and oil together (the oil will float on top just like when making pancakes).

Depending what it is and where it came from it can be completely different problems.

The problem could be a leak in the engine also. What is the engine oil look like? If it looks milky you might have a mixture going on. From engine oil to coolant. If so it's tear down time to find it.

Karl

Vilord- The water is brown that I run in. When I fill the coolant I see some sort of small "pancakes" form, very little though. But when it overflows when it starts to overheat what comes out is a thick, almost like a chocolate milkshake but hot.

What am I looking for when flushing system???

KustomKarl- the problem started after friends sucked up a ton of seaweed, thought we got it all out, any thoughts? could a cylinder be blown causing oil leak, im not mechanical at all

I have a feeling that something else is going on. I thought at first the antifreeze was just contaiminated... or never changed at the 100 hour check, but now I get the feeling something is leaking oil into the cooling fluid. When you get a chance check the engine oil for it's level and if it looks contaminated with coolant. It will be easy to go from there if the oil is clean and up to the mark.

Karl

Will check oil later......has 79 hours....checked oil last weekend and it was almost empty...just filled and will check level and if contaminated later

The oil shouldn't be almost empty...I bet it is going into the coolant. The oil just doesn't disappear.

Karl

we would be better able to help if you had your vessel info in your profile

based on your thread title, im assuming you have basically the same craft i do

the oil and coolant mixing could be caused by a couple things:

blown headgasket - blown between coolant passage and oil galley

cracked block - normally occuring on the cylinder wall between the cylinder and water passage

both of those can be caused from overheating, i dont know much about watercraft yet. but it makes sense to me that its possible to over heat if you inhale seaweed into the jet, any exxcess load (impeller trying to chew the seaweed) could cause engine temps to skyrocket very quickly

edit: how does the ski run upto where it overheats? you can have a blown headgasket and the engine still run decently

Last edited by a moderator:
2002 GTX 4-tec 79hrs

waverunner runs great, whats weird though is the overheat alarm goes off as the engine gets cooler...goes from 89 to 85-6 then goes off.... anyway to test if the head gasket is blown?

well a head gasket can blow in a few places

gasket to exterior of motor, coolant passage to oil passage, or combustion chamber to coolant passage

if your oil is turning into what we in the auto repair bizz call a 'milkshake' id be fairly certain it was a coolant passage to oil passage blow, only way to test is to check the fluids, and if they look literally like a milkshake then its prolly blown

to check for a combustion to coolant blow, you need to put a radiator pressure tester on the overflow bottle, and start the ski, watch the pressure as you bring the RPMs up, if the pressure in the cooling system rises as the RPMs rise, its blown here

but the only way to know for certain is to it teardown, youll need to have the block and head checked for cracks, head should be resurfaced before reassembling

id be better able to help if you could post pictures of the fluids

(mainly cuz i just did 3 different head gaskets on 3 different cars so i know what im looking for lol)

also pull out the plugs and take pics of the tip/electrodes if you could (please label which cylinder they are out of (the cylinders are numbered from bow to stern 3 2 1)

also: a compression test could also reveal the issue

Last edited by a moderator:
will post pictures and updated information as soon as I get back in town....thanks for help so far....anyone know how to sign up for premium membership?

Yes, click the manual section on the top of the page and follow the link.
Or on the home page, when you sign in click on the Red premum member bannor in the middle of the page.

Here is more information on the "Premium Member";

Do you have a seadoo shop manual? If not here’s an idea for you. You could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and private use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too. Premium members get priority when it comes to getting quick detailed answers.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back