2002 787 RFI Engine Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxAg15

Hello all,

I've been reading and researching a ton so I thought I'd make a project thread and see if I can get some insight from all the geniuses on here. I know it's a bit of a novel, but I thought it better to roll it all into one post for continuity.

I have a 2002 GTX RFI with ~130 hrs (located in Pensacola, FL) that I bought last year off of a guy who knew nothing about it. Was running fine at the time and I ran it for a couple months. Then it began to run rough and go into limp home mode. All I would do is replace the mag side plug and it would be fine again for maybe another hour or two (obviously should have fixed the issue first, but was just trying to make it through the end of the season). Then I finally got time to work on it this spring and found a completely shot battery (wouldn't even charge) so it sounds like I may have a bad rectifier? But I replaced the battery, it started right up and I took it out for a bit. Was still fouling mag side plug and not idling unless I kept a bit on the throttle. I decided to clean the rave valves and found one that was seized and another that barely moved. Disassembled, cleaned, replaced bad O rings, and they feel fine now. Pistons and cylinders looked fine (I should have checked compression and done a top end at this point, but I didn't). I checked resistance values on all the sensors in block 4 at the MPEM and all in spec. Put it all back together, ran fine on the trailer, so I ran it for maybe 1.5 hours then it was having major trouble. Opened it back up and found mag piston that looked like pics 1 and 2 with some minor cylinder scoring and pic 3 shows cylinder head damage, pic 4 shows marks on pto piston. Knew I was really screwed at this point. (A friend said it looks like it may have been detonation damage. Any thoughts?) I sent the fuel injectors off to fuelinjectorman.com thinking that may have contributed to the fouled mag plugs (and potential detonation) but haven't gotten the report back from Dale yet. I bought a WSM .25mm overbore top end and an ebay used cylinder head. And I'm having the cylinders bored by a local machine shop. Pulled the engine and opened the crank (without removing PTO flywheel) to inspect for debris and found a destroyed mag side rod bearing, tons of metal debris/shavings in the case (I'm assuming from the destroyed mag piston), and a small shaving from the brass rotary valve gear.

Few questions: any idea what caused the piston to self destruct? Would obviously like to confirm root cause before toasting another engine.

2nd: Best place or way to have the crank rebuilt? I know there's rebuild kits out there but I don't have the machine shop capabilities to check runout, etc and rebuild myself. Or should I just buy a new WSM crank?

Or even just buy an ebay refurbished engine? (don't like this one since it involves alot of trust to someone I don't know at all)

Lastly, anything else that I'm missing? Anything else to check?
I know I'll need the alignment tool to check alignment when re installing the engine, loctite 5910 (or something similar) to seal case halves, and I've read about removing the PTO flywheel and I know it'll suck if I have to.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200414_170257.jpg
    20200414_170257.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200415_150536.jpg
    20200415_150536.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200415_145310.jpg
    20200415_145310.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200414_170904.jpg
    20200414_170904.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
Most common cause is dirty fuel system including fuel injectors and fuel pump filters.

Get a new crank and balancer form SBT and rebuild it yourself. I suggest OEM crank seals. Seal the cases with ThreeBond 1184.

Or if you just want to blow and go use a SBT engine.

Most common cause is dirty fuel system including fuel injectors and fuel pump filters.

Get a new crank and balancer form SBT and rebuild it yourself. I suggest OEM crank seals. Seal the cases with ThreeBond 1184.

Or if you just want to blow and go use a SBT engine.

Thanks for the help!

How would a dirty fuel system wreck a piston like that?

And I looked into SBT. Looks like a pretty good deal.

Where do you get ThreeBond?

I would go with the SBT motor option if I had money to blow, but the budget is pretty tight in this one.

Also, where do you recommend getting the alignment tool from?

If an engine is getting proper fuel and oil it won't look like that. Yours wasn't getting fuel. Be sure to send the injectors out for cleaning and testing. fuelinjectorman.com is in Florida and I like working with him. Ask for paperwork on the injector testing before and after. You need to identify what happened to rob the engine of fuel. Could be your in tank filters or the fuel pump as well. Repairing the engine is the easy part. Good Luck !

The fuel and oil on a 2-stroke are what lubricates the engine and pistons so not enough fuel = not enough lubrication which is what happened to yours.

You really aren't going to save much doing the rebuild yourself, maybe a couple hundred is all.

If an engine is getting proper fuel and oil it won't look like that. Yours wasn't getting fuel. Be sure to send the injectors out for cleaning and testing. fuelinjectorman.com is in Florida and I like working with him. Ask for paperwork on the injector testing before and after. You need to identify what happened to rob the engine of fuel. Could be your in tank filters or the fuel pump as well. Repairing the engine is the easy part. Good Luck !

Already sent rhe fuel injectors off to him, so I'm interested to see how that comes back. I just don't understand how I could be fuel fouling plugs AND be running lean enough for detonation. But yeah I'll look into the fuel filters.

Got any tricks for pressure testing the pump while I don't have the injectors with me?

I bought a fuel hose that I modified. I just put a tee in the line but you could make it a dead end.

I couldn't find threebond 1184 but a local place had yamabond and said it was the same stuff and what their service shop uses to seal cases

Got the new cam, rotary gear, and yamabond. Any special considerations for the case? Spots I should hit with engine oil before rebuilding?

Still haven't heard anything back from fuelinjectorman.com and he's had my injectors for 2 and a half weeks now.

Lastly, has anyone seen 4tec rectifiers used on 2 stroke skis? I found this one and looking for some input if it's a good idea or not.
http://osdparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=595_602_6&products_id=8

Grease on the inside of the seals, 2 stroke oil on the bearings. Follow the manual for thread lock, grease and torque.

Yes the OSD rectifiers are good.

Have everything assembled now. But when I bolted the rotary valve cover on, it became nearly impossible to turn the PTO by hand. Got any ideas? I torqued it to spec. And I did the timing per the manual

Had a similar situation...part of the o ring slipped off and wedged between the plate and rotary plate. Eventually it shredded the o ring.

I would check the clearance on the rotary valve before proceeding further. Installing that cover should not bind anything. (2) 1/2" pieces of .032" solder held on by a little grease. Remove the rubber gasket, install and torque the cover. Remove and measure. Good Luck !

RFI Rotary Valve Clearance Check.jpg

Thanks for the help! Turns out my rotary valve just needed to be flattened a little bit. Had a sort of circular detent about halfway down the radius.

Got Everyrhing back together and followed griz's break in procedures yesterday. Anything look alarming about these piston crowns pictures after about 2 hrs of break in? The plugs were both dry and black which I thought was good for 2 stroke.

Attachments

• 20200523_093857.jpg
    20200523_093857.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200523_093849.jpg
    20200523_093849.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back