2002 4-TEC oil entering intake manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

smblackmon

Oil appears to be entering the intake system by way of the bypass hose from the crank case to the intake manifold. The resulting fuel air mixture is adulterated by the large amount of oil causing smoking exhaust and irregular running. The bypass hose should normally contain only vapor fumes which would burn as part of the fuel air mixture. The amount of oil being diverted to the intake is very large.

I've had it in several shops and they replaced a check valve which is supposed to prevent oil from entering the intake which was costly and did not correct the problem. Another shop now wants to pull and dismantle the engine to diagnose the problem. Not sure I want to spend this kind of money.

Engine has only about 150 hours and compression tests are within spec.

Anyone ever experienced a problem of this nature?

I have never experienced this particular problem, but I did a quick look at the shop manual and I would say that it could be either the TOPS valve (tip over protection sensor) or the OSPS (oil separator pressure sensor) which are not acting right. I think the TOPS is what closes off the vent tube when the engine shuts off or the craft flips over to prevent water entering the engine. Did a quick internet search and see that some people have said that if the TOPS valve is not opening correctly it could suck oil into the intake. Maybe the TOPS valve is what you have been replacing to no avail. Sorry if this doesn’t help, but its my best guess. Let us know what you find out.

Also here is a link to a 4-tec shop manual that goes into detail about testing those sensors, start on page 41

http://www.sea-doo.net/SHOPMANUALS/PWC/2003/smr/SMR_2003_sect%2008a.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back