2001 Seadoo GTI cranks slowly after new wear ring… Won’t start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Njudelson

I recently completely rebuilt the jet pump and the wear ring is now tightly fit to the impeller. I go to start the engine and it is slowly turning over, nowhere close to enough to start the engine. I then pulled the plugs and it spins much faster but nowhere near as fast as it should. Any solutions besides pulling the entire drive off and cutting off some of the wear ring where the impeller is rubbing?

Were you aware the wear ring was tight when you installed the impeller? If so, how tight was it? You could have a rubber bumper lodged in the PTO (An extra one) or sometimes they fall off and get sideways in there. I'd pull the pump and check. If you are new to this drill a very small hole in the rubber bumper before installing. That will let the air escape when you push it in. Then again you might have a starter or battery issue. Good Luck !!

Were you aware the wear ring was tight when you installed the impeller? If so, how tight was it? You could have a rubber bumper lodged in the PTO (An extra one) or sometimes they fall off and get sideways in there. I'd pull the pump and check. If you are new to this drill a very small hole in the rubber bumper before installing. That will let the air escape when you push it in. Then again you might have a starter or battery issue. Good Luck !!
I don’t think I have an extra rubber bumper. The wear ring was a little tight but nothing that the engine shouldn’t be able to overcome. When you say drill a hole in the bumper do you mean the rubber piece at the top of the impeller?

Rereading this I believe when you say PTO you mean the rear flywheel of the engine. I will go and inspect now.

There is a rubber bumper at each end of the drive shaft. One on the impeller end one on the PTO (flywheel) end. You drill a small hole
through the center of the bumper. It will stay in position better.

Drive Shaft Bumper rubber.jpg

There is a rubber bumper at each end of the drive shaft. One on the impeller end one on the PTO (flywheel) end. You drill a small hole
through the center of the bumper. It will stay in position better.

View attachment 62199
Thanks for the info. I have pulled the drive again and I believe the wear ring is too tight. I can still turn it with my fingers though so I would think that the engine could also turn it. Would the rubber bumper also cause problems if there isn’t a hole?

When you push the bumper into place on the drives shaft the trapped air pushes the bumper back out. The hole is merely to make it less likely to push out but rough handling can cause the bumper to become dislodged. If you can turn the impeller with your hand the engine won't have any problems with it. Start the engine or hit the starter to see if the engine responds as it should.

You could have the engine too close to the drive shaft and that will put excessive thrust on the engine. That will make the engine more difficult to spin. I have had that happen. With an issue like you are having I'd put one rubber in place and install the pump, and move the drive shaft back and forth to check thrust. If you can't move the shaft 3/8" or a tad less, the shaft is putting pressure on the engine. What you are doing can be tedious but you have to figure out what is going on. Good Luck.

Try spraying the impeller and wear ring with some lube like WD-40 once it starts it should wear itself to fit.

Back